2021 Collab: Week 09 “Retro game” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 9 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Retro game”.

• Retro game definition is - Retrogaming, also known as classic gaming and old school gaming, is the playing and/or collecting of older personal computers, consoles, and/or video games, in contemporary times. Usually, retrogaming is based upon systems that are obsolete or discontinued.
  • Subject selected by the previous week 07 winner bOBaN - “Underground”

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline: 2021-03-06T22:59:00Z

5 Likes

First Block-Out-Scene for my entry. I like to make a Donkey Kong scene transformed to the real world… I got inspired from the Mario scene from anfloy in the underground collab.

Do you guys think that this is a good thing or am I missing the theme completely, it’s Retro Game after all…

8 Likes

As an artist you have a freedom to interpret the subject however you want :grin:.

In my opinion it’s ok to re-imagine game in this way :). Especially that I am thinking about making something similar (i.e., show how I imagined it, not how it actually looks like), but with River Raid :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

IMHO, back in a day the artists had a very different interpretation when creating ads compared to actual games. Even simple games (2D) like asteroids and invaders were published with a lavished 3D posters.
Personally, I love this challange as it makes me think back to the very first game I’ve ever played. Time to find the best memory of the game I would love to see in 3D.

3 Likes

The same here. I have an advertisement for ‘Miner’ somewhere, it looked so much fun to play it (never did). But when you see the game in real … Oh boy, those days.

2 Likes

Here is my submission.
In case you’ve never payed the original version. It’s named Another World. I’ve focused on the part when human finds himself in a new alien world. I can post an original image (on request) I’ve based my submission.

For those who wonder what led to this image: It’s the point one starts the game. Original intro that leads to this point is here:

Those wondering if it’s the Sussane on the clif, well… It’s her. Here is the rendering (my first time working with fur):
13 Likes

That’s awesome! And I do remember Another World! <3

Update (monitor more emitting light). 2.5 hours render time 768 samples, denoiser.

Project log

7 Likes

Easy one, best one still.

11 Likes

How retro can you go?

Edit: hash character was off-center and annoying me.

7 Likes

Lol! :joy:

(but you could go even more retro… chess… or even more with a game of go :smiley: )

1 Like

yeah, true… I think pong is technically the most retro contender in this thread :sweat_smile:

1 Like

btw. I loved rogue and nethack :smiley:

1 Like

“Wolf catching eggs”. My husband asked me to make this. He has some nostalgic memories about it. It’s a kind of rarity now.

10 Likes

My Submission…

8 Likes

Voting entries week 09 “Retro game” theme

We have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colours, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 10 “In the air” is already started. The winner of this week’s “Retro Game” challenge may select a subject for week 11.

1 Like

Also nostalgic! This kind of games where the top ones during my childhood!

4 Likes

Congratulaions @Blest, you are the winner of the “Retro Game” challenge.

I forgot to invite people to vote, because it is a low amount this time.
But never the less, I think it was a difficult subject. Retro Game was more hardware related I think. But it brought, for some of use, old memories …

Tomorrow a new challenge and the last day to finish your entry for “In the air”. Have fun, stay healthy.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms