1 Month of Low Poly Practice Challenge - Finished!

Hello!

I decided to improve my modelling skills in a form of 1 month challenge. As I classify myself as a Blender beginner I will start with low poly modelling. The idea is to only focus only on modelling so I will take Imphenzia approach to scene setup.

Rules:

• Timebound: 15 - 30 minutes.
  • End of challenge: Dec 29 2020
  • 1 scene / day

I’ve already started doing the work. Below are first few days of my progress. They took much more time than half hour, but from tomorrow I’ll try to keep the time in line.

2020-11-23 - Tesla Cybertruck

2020-11-24 - Low poly airplane

2020-11-25 - Improved Airplane

2020-11-26 - Low Poly Computer Desk

2020-11-27 - Improved Computer Desk

2020-11-28 - Low poly kitchen

Feel free to join in the challenge!

And please provide feedback as it helps to improve - see for example desk1 vs desk 2 - thanks to feedback from @NP5 (and Corey S. from Gabbitt 3D discord).

24 Likes

Wow you did an incredible job with everything! Especially the Tesla truck! You really outdid yourself! Congrats! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Sometimes I get tempted to add lighting etc. It takes much more time that way and the idea is to practice only modeling for short amount of time each day. But it’s hard to resist sometimes. E.g., I added lighting to the kitchen for Blender Collab: Week 42 “Food” and it looks nicer:

14 Likes

As a one month challenger myself, I’m eager to see what you’ll create. It can be a rough thing to take on, but also a real fun one. Good luck!

2 Likes

The lighting is beautiful!

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! I was really hesitant to start the challenge and “making it public”. Though I’ve seen a few outcomes (including yours ^^) of the challenges and wanted to do it as well :slight_smile:.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’m really liking the kitchen both with, and without, the lighting. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with. :wink:

1 Like

Day 1. “Back to basics”. How better to start the challenge if not with modeling the well? :slight_smile:

Time taken: 1h.

Not really satisfied with the results…

13 Likes

I don’t know, I kind of like it with the little creek going by in the background, and the trees and bushes, as well as a seat for a few folks to sit on. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you :smiley:. I think though I need to work much more on trees (those are the first one I did :blush:) . So that’s probably be on tomorrows agenda :smiley:

Not bad for a first set of trees. Creating the leaves on the branches is going to be the hard part.

1 Like

Thank you again! :blush:

Yes, that’s the hard part I think. I will search for other people that do low poly modeling and pick a few styles and try to recreate a couple.

Day 2. “Trees on floating islands”
Time taken: 2h (including. ~0.5h gathering references)

Ok, I must admit, that making low poly trees is quite fun. And I didn’t even scratched the surface… there is no pine tree or palm tree yet!

Viewport view:

And I was tempted to render it :smiley:

10 Likes

Looks nice, but I really don’t like the backround.

1 Like

Ohhhh, Avatar!!! Sorry, but it’s a favorite movie of mine. :grinning:

Oh and @Ethan_Martinez is right. You need a nice blue sky with some soft clouds in the background. :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t really think about the background yesterday :sweat_smile:. That’s a good pointer to put some background in…

PS. That is not today’s outcome of practicing… That would be cheating :wink:
PS2. And I added a pine tree :smiley: how could I forget about it? :smiley:

8 Likes

Day 3: “The Atlas”
Time taken: ~3h (half of witch was trying to get a final render look cool :sweat_smile:)

Viewport shot:

And the ship alone:

Obvious inspiration from No Man’s Sky :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Great looking ship, and the crystal looks really cool.

1 Like

Day 4: “Island of failure”
Time: 2.5h

Title says it all… :disappointed:

11 Likes

Day 5: Magical Island
Time: ~5h (had to improve after yesterday’s failure :stuck_out_tongue:)

And viewport view:

I’m quite satisfied with the palm trees :smiley:

13 Likes

Privacy & Terms