1 Month of Low Poly Practice Challenge - Finished!

The whole island looks really good, but I’m really liking those palm trees too. They look realistic. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Day 6: Random Props and Magical Sword
Time taken: 2h

And obligatory viewport view:

Today I was tired so I thought that I will just make something simple… like a crate. But after 15 minutes in Blender I forgot the world. Overall, the scene is quite simple, but I like how the sword came out.

10 Likes

In a smaller size, it would look good as a dagger as well. :wink:

1 Like

Good idea! Probably the shape will need to be updated (I think the blade might be too wide for a dagger) and maybe some details removed and would produce nice dagger! I’ll give it a shot :smiley:

1 Like

Day 7: Dark Knight
Time taken: 3+h

He also guards the place during the day!

And a viewport view:

Obviously the Knight was main subject of this practice session:

I use rigify to rig him, so he can be animated! (My first rig :sweat_smile:)

Plus as a bonus work I did organize some of the stuff I’ve been creating into one blend file for future re-use (I also fixed some problems with some of the trees):

PS. Wow, it’s already a week! :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

And after receiving feedback from Blender’s discord (thanks to Brian Damage) I made more vibrant version:

5 Likes

Here we go again. Thanks to feedback received ( :heart: ) I fixed couple of things (eyes height, lighting, shader for volumetrics)

…and more vibrant colours for morning/evening light:

… and fixed knight:

7 Likes

Day 8: BA-64 Desert Storm
Time taken: ~3h

And a viewport view of the main model:

I enjoyed “Modular Vehicles” Section of Character course. Though non of the vehicles there were really lightweight armoured vehicles. So today I modelled this one and placed it in a desert environment. Interestingly enough due to shape of the vehicle I had to use totally different workflow compared to the one that Grant showed in the course.

I modeled it based on Russian WWII armoured vehicle BA-64B. Here’s one of the reference images I used (from Wikipedia):

The model is up to scale ad misses a few little details, but overall it’s similar :slight_smile:.

10 Likes

Looking great every day.

But what happend to you rrules? :grin:

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

It’s hard to keep time in check when Blender is on :joy:

Edit: But they are good rules, aren’t they? Just hard to follow :joy:

1 Like

I have that problem, start something to work out how to do gothic tracery, countless, several hundred hours later it is still an ongoing scene. lol.

1 Like

The other issue I have is also that I started doing full scenes and I intended to do only modelling part. The modelling is much shorter (but I still wouldn’t fit the time I set for it due to really small experience I have). Tweaking the final scene can take infinite amount of time… So I stop when my body says to me “stop, you’ve been sitting in one position long enough” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This and the kitchen ones are my favorites so far. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Day 9: Some more weapons
Time: 1.5h

And viewport:

I planned to do more today, but it took quite a long time to get the geometry right…

8 Likes

Very nicely done. That middle weapon looks like it has a couple of nicks, possibly from overuse. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!

I try to add some “character” to things (if I remember about it). So the two gladiuses (Roman swords) are exactly the same, except one has some notches. Didn’t look good on spear though and I didn’t find nice reference images for “notched” spears (but TBH I didn’t search for a long time).

Day 10: Even more weapons
Time: 4h

And a viewport view:

I think I’m getting better at weapon modeling. Topology is good, so I can easily make them high poly without any issues:

With some good textures they they might look quite nice even in some high poly scene :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Day 11: Blacksmith (WIP)
Time: 3-4h

Viewport view:

Not sure if it still qualifies as “low poly” (lot’s of individual bricks and planks), but those details could baked later to textures

It’s still misses a few things like an anvil ;-). Will be continuing this scene tomorrow.

14 Likes

Day 12: Blacksmith
Time: 3.5h

Close up shot on the smithy:

Viewport view:

The anvil wasn’t easy (restarted work on it twice), but it came out nice. From left to right: after subdivision and with smooth shading, low poly version, low poly “damaged” version:

11 Likes

Privacy & Terms