2023 Collab: Week 33 “Steam-driven vehicles” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 33 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Steam-driven vehicles”.

• A piece of equipment designed to transport people or cargo based on steam. Vehicles include wagons, bicycles, motor vehicles (motorcycles, cars, trucks, buses, mobility scooters for disabled people), railed vehicles (trains, trams), watercraft (ships, boats, underwater vehicles), amphibious vehicles (screw-propelled vehicles, hovercraft), aircraft (airplanes, helicopters, aerostats) and spacecraft.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 31 “Voxel style” winner Gordon

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-08-19T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

I decided to use this week as an opportunity to finish an old project that I started during a colab last year. 2022 Collab: Week 36 "Steam locomotive" - VOTE CLOSED

That colab encouraged me to continue working on a locomotive that I later posted my progress on.

Unfortunately that project was forgotten and I moved on to newer and what I thought was more exciting things. But the fact that I never finished it has always been a thorn in my side. So this week I publically challenge myself to finish modeling and texturing this big machine!

But the subject is not limited to realistic steam-vehicles. I think the subject touches a lot on steampunk. Valves, gears, pipes, and steam. Create some totally different steam-driven vehicle by taking parts from old projects and putting them together, make some progress on that old piece of machinery that you never finished, or create something wild totally from scratch. Here’s some inspiration:

steamRef7

11 Likes

I think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. Note to self, when asked to make a vehicle try to go for something small.
This is probably as far as I can take this:

I was originally planning more detail and texturing it but I’m honestly starting to get burned out working on this… I’ll see if I can do more tomorrow but this may be my final render for this week. It’s unfinished and not what I imagined but you get the idea I guess :yum:

12 Likes

13 Likes

That’s great detail you’ve incorporated in your vehicle. Very nicely done @Joey_Cuevas

6 Likes

WIP, just making a commitment to finishing this.

10 Likes

reference:
tumblr_nnttpdSkTC1ttxfeno1_400

submisson:

I am sure I will have no time to improve this one for tomorrow so I wanted to share it earlier as I was not submitting anything for couple of weeks now. I was overwhelmed with Unity courses but it was lovely to model this one.

12 Likes

The vehicle looks nice but the floor confuses me, what the heck is it standing on? Spaceship?

2 Likes

it is actually a tile of a pavement or a footway. I put it there to get some test renders but at the end I kinda liked it I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fair enough lol :+1:

3 Likes

Well no hope of getting anything done, but here is an update on the Stephenson’s Rocket I forlornly started for a previous collab, lol.

No textures, just plain colours, (many may not be vaguely right either yet), to make it look fractionally better. The great set of drawings I came across mentioned last time have been good, though my obsessive looking into it shows me some errors and missing bits. Plus there are museum ones that were updated from the original, so apparently real ones are not actually correct either. It is a minefield and it would be so nice not to care, lol.

Everyone else has made some really great vehicles this time.

10 Likes

I like it! I LIKE it!! I LIKE IT!!!

I like the way you have the bottom of the rail track partially sunken in the ground, proving it’s very heavy. As far as my thoughts are going, all you need is a puff of smoke coming up out of the crown top of the steam pipe, and you’ll be finished. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I also miss a little steam exhaust and or smoke …

1 Like

It is just out of the factory and has not been fired up yet, that is why it is so clean. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m not sure that this really fits the prompt, but it’s steam powered.

5 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

The new subject week 34 “How did that get there” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Steam-driven vehicles” challenge may select a subject for next week 35 and win a badge.

4 Likes

Haha. Did not even get close to finishing. But I’m getting very close to finishing the modeling part at least. I’ve aligned the coupling rods to be able to rig them easier later. The brake rigging needs work. The proportions of a lot of things are off and needs fixing. And then there are other some other parts I feel could be made a bit sleeker.

Haven’t started the texturing yet but here is a visualization of the color scheme.

I’m fine with taking my time with this project. I’m learning a lot along the way!

9 Likes

Also wanted to say wow, such a nice collection of steam-driven vehicles you guys made. All of them are so creative and unique. So fantastic to see!

4 Likes

@Joey_Cuevas Congratulations on your winning Collab entry “Steam-driven vehicles”. It has the looks of a steam-driven dragster. The small details make the machine huge and massive. Exactly what you expect of a steam engine. It looks also a bit “Steampunk”…

• NP5 - Beautifull entry, and with some extra details (textures) it could be a winner.
  • VVruba - An exciting vehicle. Also a “Steampunk” style feel. I miss a bit more attention to the scale of things. The red cloth for example …
  • TheDispicableDM - I love this one because you’ve used Steam in a very nice way. You’ve interpreted “Steam-driven” in the correct way I think. It looks like a vehicle from Jules Verne’s stories. The use of more details will make the object larger in scale.
  • consummatumest - A great model constructed! It could use more material improvements, making it more natural. Like the floor. Presentation of the model counts too!
  • zeRgenTa - I think the scene is too far away from the subject “Steam-driven”. I saw what you were trying to build (many years ago I built a kid’s toy. A candle and a metal tube. hours of fun).

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms