2023 Collab: Week 35 “Among the Stars” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 35 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Among the Stars”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-09-02T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

3 Likes

Just an idea

I don’t think it is going somewhere …

Different approach

More colorful and action.

7 Likes

I’m very confused about this week’s subject. Is it just space or what?

1 Like

Well it can be taken any way you like really. A star is not just the things in the sky it is a basic shape. Could be anywhere or anything almost that you can put star shapes into for some reason. Well that is my take on it.
Simple 'star’t :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Add, mesh, Extras, Simple star. (if you have Mesh Extra Objects enabled)

6 Likes

As an example, I would take the image @FedPete posted and drag it into Photoshop and soften it, blur it, what ever I can think of, and then use the final image as a background for one of my portrait scenes, one of the scenes I usually do of one or two characters where there’s no “story” background, as I often use in my outdoor landscape scenes.

3 Likes

It can be a space scene too, " … starships on fire", or a celebrity.

3 Likes

Thanks for the topic and chance to participate. I happened to be working on trying to make a new pirate ship in between other projects and thought it could be fun to use for this topic.

I’ve struggled with the compositor in the past, so I wanted to try and incorporate that along with using some modifiers I don’t always play with. The ship has been in progress and will have some other things done to it, but the image overall was just put together quickly for fun.

Cycles:

Eevee:

edit:
Oh yeah, had to say this guys little top part only rig was actually super cool to see work correctly

10 Likes

That’s one very brightly lit up sky you have your pirate ship in. It really stands out “among the stars”. :grinning:

I can’t wait to see how you progress the ship further.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve been feeling a lack of motivation and confidence with modelling the past few months, but this theme got me inspired to make something with a Kerbal Space Program feel to it. I ended up spending way too much time on it but I really enjoyed this, so thank you for the exciting theme!

I’ve been wanting to get better at procedural texturing, so everything here is procedural (made with shader nodes – no image textures). It took a lot of trial and error (the stars material ended up with 50+ nodes!) but I feel like I learned a lot from it.

I modelled the probe using a mix of satellite photos and Kerbal screenshots as references. I don’t think solar panels are meant to be transparent, but I liked the effect of a little bit of transparency.

The Earth-like moon was re-used from a previous project. The larger planet is meant to be a gas giant, but I think it’s ended up looking too solid.

Some earlier versions:

I originally liked the idea of a much darker background (I don’t think stars would really be visible in this shot, but the theme is Among The Stars!). I think the final image looks more interesting with that brighter band.

I ended up spending 2 full days just on tweaking the textures and could probably go on for a few more days, but I’ve decided to be finished with it. :slight_smile: I also finally sat down to learn the Compositor! (…and spent another day today tweaking in that…)

Looking forward to seeing more stars-themed renders!

(Edit: Fixed a shadow glitch)

9 Likes

This is stellar. Really good work with the textures imo.
Now I’m glad I didn’t start work on the Voyager probe. Would have been too similar.

3 Likes

Still missing textures, rigging and to be included in the rest of the scene

And here’s the young space traveler, collecting stars

13 Likes

14 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

The new subject week 36 “Favorite childhood toy” has already started. The winner of this week’s “35” challenge may select a subject for next week 37 and win a badge.

2 Likes

I appreciate the poll can’t be changed, but just noting that the 1st image in my post was my entry, not the 3rd one (labelled as an “earlier version”).

1 Like

No worries. I voted based on your intended entry.

2 Likes

@anastasions , congratulations on your creative vision of the “Among the Stars” Collab entry.

• Myn - Could be a visualization for NASA and or ESA
  • HobbyPirates - Most creative entry. At sea, super dark, all stars are visible and reflecting on the water. Cool idea.
  • FedPete - Looks like autumn leaves falling. The logo could be more distinctive.
  • Joey_Cuevas - Great story! - The color of the star makes it less distinctive from the rest (also purple).
  • NP5 - I know, not your usual quality of work. And most likely not an official entry. But you have supporting points!

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

5 Likes

I love that you give feeback to yourself as well :grin:

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms