2023 Collab: Week 31 “Voxel Style” - VOTE CLOSED

I don’t think I can edit my previous post because of the poll so here is an updated version of my scene:

I decided to do away with the black outline and only keep the white one, I also added some bloom effects through the compositor to make the scene more “shiny”.

9 Likes

Eevee

Cycles

I’ve never played with these tools, I just wanted to test it out on one of our projects that’s in progress. Thanks for sharing the information of how to do something like this!

9 Likes

To quick test the style, I used a ready-made model. I’m not happy with the result, let’s see if I can do better. I feel that it will be more convenient for me to make a model from individual cubes than to use Remesh (@VVruba , thanks for the tip)

8 Likes

This already looks quite nice to me but I’m excited to see what you come up with.

I think in general, and this is just my opinion, the smaller cubes that you use the less impressive the result is. When you can approximate the larger shape with bigger elements it gives it that artsy feel, kind of like brush strokes on a painting, or pixel art. That said, it largely depends on your subject too.

1 Like

You’re right about smaller cubes.
Now I am trying to put something from cubes, manually. Harder when modifying ready model. The result is not satisfactory :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A silly as it may sound it might be worth going into Minecraft creative world and doing a mock-up there.

2 Likes

partially voxel barbie movie props

12 Likes

The next attempt was to build a couple of cats and dogs out of cubes. It takes much more time than it appears from the result.

And my last try. These are rather low-poly birds.

10 Likes

These are really good, I like the dogs&cats especially. I think the bird one could use a lighter sky colour but it’s looking good otherwise.

2 Likes

with lighter sky and I made the central bird more yellow

@VVruba I couldn’t come up with an interesting scene with cats and dogs, so I had to leave them. For some reason, the birds immediately came up with a nest and a tree

8 Likes

Maybe the cats are hunting the birds and the dogs are hunting the cats? :sweat_smile:
Still I like the scene, maybe could use a bit of post processing to make it even better, bloom depth of field, vignette etc.

idk if addon usage is allowed (that does heavy lifting of voxelization), but I did use it on my old catapult mech model, and after tweaking it I rendered this:

Original model

1 Month of Low Poly Practice Challenge - Finished! - #78 by bOBaN

9 Likes

@anastasions I haven’t wrapped my brain around Voxel work as yet, but I’m loving what you’ve produced here, especially the ladies high heels and the roller skates. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll submit now in case I don’t finish in time, like last week. :sweat_smile: Still want to work on lighting and better color details. The skull is reused from an old project. Everything else I made this week.

EDIT:

More of a voxel style ground plus cycles lighting.

And lastly a little bit of color variation.

And that’s it for me :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

All of the animals are very recognizable even though you used such few blocks. You really got the voxel style spot on, and did it manually too. I love them!

2 Likes

I found a pokemon (that I forgot I made) lying around, so decided to make a little scene for it.

I used geometry node's distribute points in volume node to convert it into voxels. The method looks like it has some potential to be used for animation.

Voxel30001-0240
Voxe520001-0120

8 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
The new subject week 32 “Summer day at the beach” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Voxel style” challenge may select a subject for next week 33 and win a badge.

3 Likes

@Gordon congratulations on winning this competitive Collab week with many participants. You’ve created a beautiful bright, sunny, creative dessert scene. Good composition and level of asset details.

General observation:

Voxels are like screen pixels. While they are 3D in shape, the 6 faces contain the same color (variance). Voxels don’t rotate, Voxels do have the same size (scale). Voxels fit the grid.

• Kzanna - such a lovely scene. You’ve managed to create animals (foxes, dogs) in their essence. Great achievement. I think your birds are a bit blended in color. Play with color variance in voxels.
  • VVruba - Colorful illustration, can be a wallpaper. I think the background is too noisy. It distracts from the main subject.
  • anastasions - You go with the flow … :wink: Great assets, The yellow boots are distracting (emphasizing) due to the color. I like the black accents on the controller better, more like tiny details.
  • HobbyPirates - Great scene, lot of details. Maybe too many and due to the color schema, difficult to see (separate). Assets are blending in, like the monster in the middle. A different distinctive color would help.
  • zeRgenTa - Love your bushes, really! Your scene lighting is very nice in my opinion. No hard shadows, so the voxels look great. They do have a bit of bevel (my choice also). It give a nice texture to flat surfaces.
  • Cows - Nice action scene! Add more car destruction, more details, and more havoc … Makes it more interesting. I think the scale of voxels used to be too diverse. Road railing vs. cars.
  • bOBan - I think the charm of voxels is in using them in organic shapes. While a voxel is still a cube or rectangle combining them as such, makes no difference. Maybe the mech as a subject wasn’t the best choice. But I do think if these were recognizable as LEGO bricks …

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

4 Likes

So many submissions this week, thanks people. It feels good to see people engage in a topic I picked.
As @FedPete has mentioned there were some misunderstandings in how voxels work, but I think it’s fine to bend the rules for some creative freedom. The only thing that bothered me a little was the inconsistency in scale.

In a single object that’s true and I suppose it’s true for “real” voxels but as part of a bigger object or a game, it’s not uncommon to rotate them. It depends on the setting.

2 Likes

I’m happy that you introduced this subject. Keep on coming up with interesting stuff like this!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms