2022 Collab: Week 40 ¨Non-human city¨ - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 40 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Non-human city”.

• “Non-human city” - This means any reasonably large area of settled land. That is not settled by a human. Which is a city that is not human. Like an alien city, or an anthill, or a secret pig city.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 38 “Clothing, shoes, accessories” winner: Cows

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-10-08T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

This is an old project. It could be a strange city …
If I have a new idea I will compete. But this is just an example.

Have fun!

9 Likes

Every city needs some tubing … working modular

8 Likes

Did you start with the Mesh Extra Objects pipe joints?

4 Likes

18 million tris my poor ailing old computer I so need a new one.
Would have liked to do more fuss and textures but even as it is it will only render at 50%.
Each cell is a hexagon.

Hive Alien City, with maintenance droid. Are they sleeping, hibernating, or out somewhere?

10 Likes

Oh my goodness yes, I so remember this project as it reminded me of a piece by the famous artist M.C. Escher, whose work I really liked. :grinning:

2 Likes

No, I didn’t (but I was aware of the add-on)
It isn’t that much work. More or less a small exercise.
And I want to have a grip on a modular structure.

1 Like

What I did once for a beach project, was to generate a texture from sand grain particles. And use that image as texture for the beach in the back of the scene. In the front particles, and in the back the same structure but then as texture image.

You can do that too, because the 3D repeated structure in the back. Is basically becoming a flat image. Also this in combination with Blender post processing.

6 Likes

I remember that duck, Is that the same from that pool animation you did years ago?

2 Likes

Yes!

3 Likes

I’ve no clue in which direction this goes.
I’m missing a story, a “Non-human city” aspect …

9 Likes

When I first look at it my first thought was Mario bros so maybe a Piranha Plant coming out of a pipe

1 Like

I love this project idea! Primary colors and translucency look so good.

One thing you could do is just have loads of them going every direction, like that old pipes screensaver for Windows.

Otherwise I think you’d need rooms. The pipes are kind of like the roads of the city, and the rooms would be like the buildings.

But those are just my ideas. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

(One note: the yellow elbow bend in the front seems to be losing some of its color to the reflection. IMO it would look nicer if we could see the yellow better.)

5 Likes

I was thinking similarly to @FedPete . If you didn’t want to do a flat image, maybe you could reduce the detail of the geometry in the background. I know some video games have a way to switch to low LOD models automatically based on distance, but there’s probably an easier way to do it manually for a single image.

Looks cool, BTW.

3 Likes

I like this idea, like a huge rodent highway

3 Likes

I suppose I could apply the arrays and curves and then be in a position to delete the two thirds not in the camera view. I am a bit surprised as there are only 2 ‘cells’ and all the rest are just array instances, but it fails to write the first rendered tile at my usual 4k image size. That may be low ram? As half mine died several months back. Promised myself a new machine when these new generation parts are out hopefully by the end of this year ‘ish’.

Exactly my thought as well when I first saw it. :grinning:

1 Like

Here’s my work in Progress:

Anyone have any good ideas on how to light and texture it in such a way that the tunnels stand out from the rest of the dirt? Here’s how it’s shaped:

Check out my geometry nodes thread for more info if you’re interested.

8 Likes
  • One big area lamp, the size of the farm (no shadows)
  • Use the compositor to render only the tunnels (different lighting), and render the ground (without tunnels).

Just ideas popping up.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms