2022 Collab: Week 39 ¨Robots¨ - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 39 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Robots”.

• A robot is a machine — especially one programmable by a computer — capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically. A robot can be guided by an external control device, or the control may be embedded within.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 37 “Aerostat” winner: Joey_Cuevas

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-10-01T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

Small robot.

One I made earlier largely following a Ryan King tutorial series.
I had intended animation with a cat model and that lever was for the robot to open the cat flap not shown to the right). But the riggify cat armature was a nightmare.

16 Likes

Oh, this topic is awesome. I hope to find some time to participate this time!

6 Likes

WIP - render test metal plastic, outdoor scene.

7 Likes

WIP - Working towards a scene.

9 Likes

I wanted to generate a water ripple effect.

This is what I created. But the Sine ring waves are not wave-like at all. More zig-zag. I think it’s because of the numbers I’ve used.

At the same time, I was looking for a sine solution or info. I came across Blender 3.0 Dynamic paint. I have never seen this. But does it make my project go faster? Learning new things consumes time …

I think my solution is better for my laptop, sub-division and animation (physics) makes my project slow …

6 Likes

@FedPete I tried a little ripple effect using a simple circle and extruded the outline a few times, then I raised the even edges and lowered the odd ones. I then added a bevel to those edges trying to get them as close to the next one as possible. Finally I gave it a surface smooth in sculpt mode.

3 Likes

Have you tried turning down the distance, or putting a float curve between the wave texture and the height?

If neither of those help, here is something I found that works.

Everything in a frame, was just me getting a little carried away.

4 Likes

Yes, that was also my first idea. But my floor need multiple ripple effects.
And the ripple center must be affected by coordinates.
Working with material nodes and the ability to add multiple ripples, was the solution I was looking for.
The main problem is that working with material nodes makes my machine go slow. Sometimes you need to tweak between numbers like 0.01 and 0.009. It’s no fun then.

2 Likes

Wow, your approach using float curve is a better one, than my quadratic sphere gradient.

I think the normal map solution is enough, instead of mesh displacement.
But this Dynamic paint makes other ideas possible.

1 Like

This did the trick, getting a smoother sine. Nearly everything in place. I can work on details.

12 Likes

Nice. I have seen your posts of the futuristic game assets, awesome stuff.

1 Like

Started working on the Optimus Prime on Sunday changed my mind and started doing this instead… based on terminator

11 Likes

@NP5 I love all the little mechanical details, particularly the copper pieces.

@FedPete I like the fish and the mechanical gizmo up against the water.

@Willrun I think the terminator was a good choice. A reuse of the head sculpting course?

3 Likes

This is fortuitous. I’m working on my latest game: Robots Incoming!

Robots Incoming

I just created the new robots. Here is my blender render:

Also, it gives an good comparison between blender and Unity.

The game is low poly, so I used a sub-division surface modifier so I don’t break the game models.

I’m trying to get the light to look a bit ‘sunrise/sunset’, but only having some limited success.

12 Likes

HDRs may be able to help with the lighting: (This isn’t meant to be my submission for the robot collab). If you need any help setting this up, I’d be glad to help. :+1:

12 Likes

I don’t know if I’m allowed to participate, but here’s a rusty motionless robot

11 Likes

Sure, previous winners can participate! Love the lighting.

1 Like

I like these types of games!

Privacy & Terms