2022 Collab: Week 41 "Volcano" - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 41 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Volcano”.

• “Volcano” - a mountain or hill, typically conical, having a crater or vent through which lava, rock fragments, hot vapor, and gas are being or have been erupted from the earth’s crust.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 39 "Robots winner: FedPete

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-10-15T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

3 Likes

Using 3D sculpt, with multires modifier.

Copied two times (rotated) merged in one object.
Randomizing vertices and smoothing. 330K faces, 330K verts, after deletion of outside camera verts.

8 Likes

Next step adding light to the darkness.
By extruding a single face (edge), I draw lava streams on the surface, using the shrinkwrap modifier, in combination with the solidify (extrude the face) modifier).
For a close by lava stream, I plan to use a meatball.

My biggest worry is the smoke. Difficult subject for me, a slow machine. Not much experience with it.

1024 Cycles samples.

12 Likes

I displaced a plain for the basic shape, then added some extra details in sculpt mode.

I still need to work on a few textures, but the basic idea is there.

Added rocks, clouds, and colors are more muted.

Small tweaks.

Credits

Total Solar Eclipse image : NASA/Goddard/Rebecca Roth – CC BY 2.0

12 Likes

<<<W.I.P>>>

quick textures,

12 Likes

Haven’t posted in a while. I haven’t touched Blender in months but I was able to shake off some cobwebs and make this. I forgot how fun and limitless this medium is. Might do more, we’ll see. I’ll be back.

14 Likes

I was kinda hungry while thinking about volcanoes and remembered a local restaurant’s menu

14 Likes

Very tasty “Vulcano” entry.
The textures are very realistic!
Maybe, add more detail to the lighting.
It looks like LED light (one color light).

1 Like

I’m pretty terrible when it comes to lighting but following @FedPete 's advice I tried to improve it a bit

5 Likes

If you use a lamp, it emits only one type of color.
If you use an HDRI background, it emits light in all colors used in the image. Then you get more diversity in color interaction.
The same goes for a sky (Nitisha) background, simulating the sky and sun (no sun lamp needed).

Personally, I like the first one better. Then, the subject is more in the center of attention. In the last one, the composition gets complex. But that said, you are the designer. Your model is still sublime.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like the first one better, I was going for a TV ad style. The second picture also brings that idea but the extra models don’t precisely improve the atmosphere.

6 Likes

here is mt doom the stone walkway into the volcano

10 Likes

@Joey_Cuevas - I do not know if you are uploading a new version, but can you say which version to use in the vote? My rule is pick the latest one, but I’m not sure in your case!

@FedPete I decided to go with the first version

1 Like

I was busy working on other projects this week, but this is a really fun topic so I wanted to submit something. Here’s what I came up with:

8 Likes

First time using the Cloud feature in Blender. Render times exploded.
So many thing to do. But no time.

7 Likes

This is my entry.

Credits

Total Solar Eclipse image : NASA/Goddard/Rebecca Roth – CC BY 2.0

7 Likes

wanted to tweak the lighting a bit may not have time

6 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 42 “Dutch windmill(s)” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Volcano” challenge may select a subject for next week 43 and wins a badge.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms