The Blender Collab: Week 24 Themed Gallery (“The Laboratory”)

Hi everyone…

Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn and get together.

Rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject . It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome! Post your picture here in this thread.

This weeks Collab theme is “The Laboratory”. Pick an item or scene related to the theme for your entry.

OPTIONAL: If you want an extra challenge, you can also choose a limitation to impose on yourself to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Additionally, if you know someone willing to team up with you on a submission that is totally OK also. :+1:

Feel free to share your ideas to help each other.

DEADLINE: 2020-06-25T23:59:00Z

Last week’s collab
The hall of fame

EDITS: There used to be a poll here asking if people wanted a single-project-style collab or just the old style… the old style won out. Apologies for any confusion I caused.

4 Likes

To be honest, I would really like to collab with @Blest! I think your artistic and low polly scenes are the complete oposite of my style and I feel like we could make something insteresting working together (or at least learning something from the experience!) :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, thanks, I thought that nobody can be interested in work with me as a Blender beginner. It was said in the Discussion that new format is not for newcomers, so I voted against it. And I like these tasks being fast, different and somehow unexpected. Also I just yet don’t know my abilities and Blender abilities, I need to explore it more. (It looks like creating new worlds!) Why two or more formats can’t coexist at the same time? Start them all!

And I love your food scenes!

Ooh it’s an interesting one :+1:

Yeah I think it’s a good idea. This challenge is nice too, in a different function.

Yeah! I started a New Team Project which is separate from this challenge. All are welcome! Hope you guys can join in!

4 Likes

Just a reminder that there are only a couple of days left on this week’s collab.

How is everyone getting on?

3 Likes

Haven’t started yet but will soon, didn’t notice the deadline until now.

1 Like

Haven’t started yet, either! It’s been a busy couple of days for me. I’ve got time the next couple of days, though, so I’ll get something done. I’m thinking of doing some kind of a chemistry laboratory.

1 Like

My first thought was of The Island of Doctor Moreau, the next one - of Frankenstein, now I want to make something less complex and less scary - a kind of chemistry laboratory too.

3 Likes

I see some interest in chemistry sets so gonna show y’all an easy way to make a flask…

Expand this if you want to know more...

Make a low-poly UV-sphere:
Delete the top vertex and extrude the top edge-loop a couple of times. Next, squash the bottom by using proportional editing and by moving the bottom vertex up to get something like this:
Add a solidify modifier, and an optional subsurface modifier… Then use the following node setup to get transparent glass (this is the simplest setup, not the best):

…which for EEVEE requires the following settings in the material settings tab:
…and the following in the render settings tab:

Hope that helps someone.

4 Likes

Loving this one, had a rough time figuring out what to add, especially since I wanted to keep that clean futuristic feel, think I managed to do that.

14 Likes

Nice! Looks like a corner of Aperture Labs :smile:

Does that count toward your 30-day challenge?

2 Likes

Nah, making another scene for that.

1 Like

Actually, my initial thought was Stargate SG-1. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah I actually took some inspiration from that.

2 Likes

Made scene of a sci fi lab , this portion is used to analyse the collected data of human specimens .

Also modeled a DNA

14 Likes

When I see you guys’ entries for the challenges I always feel like Charlie Brown in this strip:

7 Likes

That has a nice Sci-fi slickness to it. :+1:

3 Likes

:rofl:
Ducks and horsies are welcome also! :sunglasses:

Only a day and a bit left to get those submissions in tho!

1 Like

More tips&tricks for everyone doing scenes involving chemistry!
Below is a relatively simple method to make a low-poly condensation spiral tube like this:

Expand to see method

Add a low-poly Circle Mesh
Go into Edit Mode and rotate everything on the y-axis by 90deg. Then grab everything and move it on the y-axis to somewhere off-center like this (the origin needs to stay at (0,0,0)):
Next, add a Screw modifier with settings similar to the following:
That should give you a low-poly screw-tube result as pictured above…
Obviously you can tweak the settings and circle [geometry/distance-from-origin] to suit your tastes. Remember that with all modifiers overall scaling will impact results…
Hopefully this will help you get close to settings such that the resulting poly-count is as low as possible while still having recognizable results.

Also note that you would need to apply the screw modifier before you can join it to the rest of your tubing model.

Good luck everyone, and hoping to start seeing those chemistry lab scenes soon!

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms