The Blender Collab: Week 24 Themed Gallery (“The Laboratory”)

Just a reminder that there is less than half a day left till deadline…

How is everyone getting on?

2 Likes

I’ll have something to submit, but it’s beginning to feel more like a long term project :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, be careful with that… I bit off way too much last collab which is why I have just enough energy to run this collab, but not enough to enter it. :cold_sweat:

Challenge yourself, but don’t stop having fun. :+1:

Ah too bad. I wanted to see what you’d do with it.

Here’s where I’m going to stop with my chemistry set:

It’s a cool theme. there’s so many more different models I wanted to make, and other effects I could try to figure out how to add.

Details
  • wood and wall textures from textures.com
  • HDRI for reflections from hdrihaven.com
  • revisited this tutorial from Blender Guru’s donut series to remember how to do liquid and glass
  • chalkboard texture (without drawings) from needpix.com via google image search (Did you know you can specify “usage rights” in google image search to search for images that are royalty free? Click on “tools” and “usage rights” after you search. There are a few different settings, but I’m not exactly sure of the difference in legalities)

@Ethan_Martinez and @Sahil_Nain You guys made some awesome scenes! Hope we get some more submissions here.

edit: @Sahil_Nain Whoa I just saw the DNA! Nice! WIll you add it into the scene? I could imagine it on the table or even big in the middle of the floor.

12 Likes

Very realistic-looking cycles render.

Wow! Did you actually model the liquid’s menisci? That’s next-level attention to detail.

Your computer must have had fun rendering that :sweat_smile:

White Mouse composing a sonnet

14 Likes

That’s a massive departure in style from your previous submissions, but still manages to retain the character of your previous works.

Very cool! :+1:

1 Like

OK, fine, in honor of Charlie Brown & his Duckie & Horsie clouds, (because he’s a good man, Charlie Brown) here is my beginner entry for the Laboratory theme project: Dr. Blinky in his lab, from the 70’s kids show, “HR Pufnstuf.”

with reference:

6 Likes

I like the fact that Dr. Blinky is mainly composed of primitives… nice :+1:

Had to google “H.R. Pufnstuf”. At fist glance they look like Muppets who may have been “puffing” on too much “stuff” :rofl:

1 Like

And this week winner is … :postal_horn: :postal_horn: :postal_horn: Charlie Brown !!!

3 Likes

How about a new category for best beginner entry, call it the “Ducky Horsie Clouds award,” to encourage beginners to participate??? I propose to bring it up for a vote.

4 Likes

@albesca, I’m not saying I blame you for this…

but… I kinda am saying you may be responsible…

The “Ducky Horsie Clouds” award may well become a thing.

2 Likes

blame it on Charlie Brown, let’s make it a thing!

1 Like

Oh dear. curtailed or thwarted.

I did this in the nick of time, but still, here’s my entry for the challenge, a vintage microscope:

8 Likes

I try my best to keep the bar low for everyone else :smiley:

2 Likes

Alchemists, lab.

Need so much more time.

8 Likes

& this proves the point; how am I, or any other novice, supposed to compete with this?
excellent work, NP5.

Thanks @Bradley_Bowers
If you see it as a competition, I keep losing, low poly things win, lol. That is my failing, my ‘style’. People vote on all sorts of parameters. To be fair I had a lot of items ready made. Even so I spent days on this. Still failed as far as I am concerned, new render is two mins too late and my concern that in the evee working render, the candles looked green tinged, has led me to make them over white, in proper Cycles. Did improve the flame. But I did rush in a poor, very poor quill and a quick and easy inkpot.
Had been thinking it was Friday evening end.
This one too late, bad candles spoil it anyway.

9 Likes

Voting time! Here are the rules as a reminder:

Note: These are just thumbnails representing the submissions to save space. If you want to see the full submissions, scroll up ↑

In alphabetical order:

• albesca image
  • Blest image
  • Bradley_Bowers image
  • Ethan_Martinez image
  • NP5 image
  • Sahil_Nain image
  • Tyger2 image

0 voters

Well done everyone!

Privacy & Terms