Low resolution baked normals

Hi, I’m following the steps here and I’m getting a very poor normal map texture, I don’t know why :frowning:

These are my steps:

• Both meshes are shaded smooth
  • I tried cycles with both CPU ang GPU Compute, same results
  • I messed around with the Max Ray Distance (I’m using blender 3.3 which doesn’t have a Ray Distance but rather a max ray distance)
  • I also tried with several rendering max samples (under the Sampling > Render > Max samples submenu in the Render Properties panel)
  • The image texture is of tipe Non-Color, with no alpha and no 32 bit float

Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

This is a question asked many times on this forum. And solutions can be diverse.

You can search, or browse in this ask forum, for similar questions. I think every week we have a question about this.

You can also look here:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, @FedPete ! I found the solution messing with the cage and cage extrusion in blender 3.3. To others having the same issue, if I understand the blender docs correctly, for complex meshes with seams, etc, it is recommended to use a cage and use extrusion instead of ray distance, or a cage object, for the ray casting.

I just ticked the cage option and put the value for the max ray distance in the cage extrusion field instead, and that worked!

1 Like

Thank you for solving this on yourself. It’s part of the learning curve!
With each Blender versions, new problems arise or others are solved.

For us, some questions are asked so many times and giving the same answers is a lot of work. So we tends to point student in a direction, to try to solved it on their own. If it didn’t work, then they can ask for more specific help. I, like others, are also students, but longer involved in these courses.

Have fun, show your work regularly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms