How to export more than one animation?

I’ve created a mesh with multiple animations but I can only export one on the FBX, I am unable to export multiple and I had to go exporting one at a time without the mesh (just armature) and I think that should not be done that way. What am I missing here?

By the way, when exporting I am experimenting the mesh being turned -90º on the Y axis. And that wasn’t happening at the beginning, indeed I’ve exported other meshes from the same blender file without this issue. It is a problem related with transformations or origins? Thanks

1 Like

Not sure why it didn’t happen the first time. But Blender has Z-UP.
Other engines use Y-ax as Up and Z as a depth (distance) property.

And you need to be aware of this!

Also, it’s best to export animation parts as different data sets! So that they can be used or mixed together. Walking, running, standing, wave one hand etc. Are all different motions. Its best to keep them appart.
Blender uses for this the NLA-editor. But this concept is not discussed very much in-depth on these GameDev courses.

see

1 Like

The exporting issue where character is bend down I found out I had to export it -Y instead of Z forward. The rest of the things I still don’t know

1 Like

It’s very easy to make mistakes with the axis (world, local, …).
Re-do your steps.
Don’t experiment (what does this option do …and then forget you’ve set them).

1 Like

Do you recommend exporting character on one side and animations on another side? I mean different exports? Since I can’t export the gun with all animations I am starting to think that it may not be a bad idea to just export each one individually and use them in the same way

1 Like

It has it advantages to have all items in one file.

But animations is not something like having animation file, containing the walk-, arm-, head-, etc movements. It looks logical!

But your character is running and moving his arms accordingly. Maybe you want to introduce a movement where he swings his sword, or throws a dagger. Then you need to merge movements into a new flow. Then it is handy to have different movement data sets.

In Blender, this is handled in the (not so much discussed) NLA editor. The same principles goes for game engines. walk movement will be, running movement, will be a jump movement. This is in combination with other movement aspects of the body.

Then it’s beneficial to have different files for different updates in movement.

But for this course keep it simple. Learn the process of exchanging data from Blender into other tools. And how it will be managed in that tool. If you understand the concept, then it is time to clean up and professionalize the process and code involved.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms