Cavity baking problem

Hi, I’m following this dragon sculpting course. However I encountered a problem while diffuse baking my cavity image. The details I’m supposed to get on the image are there, but I also get a lot of weird white dotted lines all over it. What might have I done wrong to get these, and how may I fix it ?

2 Likes

see similar problems in the Wiki.

2 Likes

Apparently it might have something to do with scaling the model ? I didn’t really understand the solving answer by Jaco_Pretorius on one of the topics you linked me, which seemed the most similar to mine ( White dots on texture). However I have not followed the Orc course yet (before the dragon sculpting course I have followed through the Learn 3D modelling for beginners course)

What is the lesson where Grant teaches about measuring things ? I haven’t seen it in the titles of the Orc course.

1 Like

It’s best to have all your object to have a scale of 1.
Apply scale if not so.

Also, a best practice, but less erroneous, is to make your object in the same scale as the world. Because all properties, have a default based on real world.

This scaling issue can be also a problem between your version and Grants version.
Like this baking something, needs to have set some ‘bake’ properties, which depends on your model settings, while Grant uses setting on his model. So you need to tweak the properties Grant uses to does his version, but based on your model.

That said, it can be a lot of issues, which causes this white dots. But basically, something went out of dimension. Like, in a range of 0…1, results in 1.1 and blender will cut this calculation of to 1, resulting white dots.

Also, check your node setup and steps (disconnect bitmap before baking etc.) . Things are easily missed because everyone is excited to see a result. And miss a simple step.

3 Likes

Well, both my low poly and high poly models were of a scale of 1 on all axis, so I think the problem might not come from here.
I also double checked if my shader’s node links were the same as in the course, I rebaked and it didn’t fix anything (I rewatched the lesson for my 4th time, setting everything up step by step to be sure everything was right, I still might have missed something though)
Also, for the bake properties, mine are already different from Grants’. As my model is smaller (less than 2m tall) and my low poly and high poly models are way closer to each other (for the low poly, I applied a multires with a viewport level of 1 instead of 0), which means I put my Extrusion and my Max Ray Distance values way lower than Grants’ (0.0025m and 0.005m respectively).

1 Like

maybe, those value, needs more tweaking?

What I find strange are the way the these dots are presenting themselfs, like if there are seams and UV-mapping involved on the low res dragon.

1 Like

Well, there is UV mapping, I followed a UV mapping tutorial by Grant on youtube to avoid having thousands of islands like the smart UV project. The problem is that those white lines and dots do not follow the seams I marked at all.
velbaking2

1 Like

Do these white dots seem to coincide with the HP sticking through the LP mesh?

I would try increasing the extrusion value, bit by bit, and see if that fixes it.

I assume you have checked the normals are facing the right way on both HP and LP?

2 Likes

I think it looks like a lot of uv-map image margin paint bleed.

When you use the paint tool, there is an option to draw some pixels outside an island, just to be sure you paint all the pixels of an island. Increase this margin, and you paint a border around an island. All pixels filled, but set to zero, some of the halve pixel at the border aren’t touched by paint.

I think this kind of problem is happening in your baking process.
Try, as test, not to bake with uv-mapping.

1 Like

Hi, I’m back !

I checked the face orientation of my models and they were all good.

The dots do not coincide at all with the overlapping between the HP and LP, .

I tried this experiment with an even lower polygon LP, with a multires at level 0. With the same Extrusion and Max Ray Distance values, I had a lot of black gaps in my Cavity map (which is logical since the LP is even lower in polygon, the space between it and the HP is greater on average, so the original Extrusion values I put were too low to reach certain texture areas), so I increased bit by bit the Extrusion and Max Ray Distance values, and it fixed the gaps in my texture, but the white dots/lines remained completely unchanged.

Hi, I’m back !

What do you mean by “not with uv-mapping” ? Do you mean I should use the Smart UV Projection instead ?

bleed means drawing a bit outside the given UV-Map

I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand what I should be doing.

When you look at the screenshot coming with this post, the white dots/lines are not at the border of the islands, they seem to follow a random pattern of lines that I have no idea of where it’s from. I tried baking again with the Smart UV Projection, and the result was the same.

I’m a bit lost here.

Have you tried scaling it? Just been searching around and other sites also solve ‘white dots’ by scaling. Though mostly related to pointiness. (applying scale may also be required.) The thread answered by Jaco may well be right.

The other possibility is from the fact you are using 3.2. New number releases tend to have bugs that the community discover and the first update 3.2.1 is a lot of bug fixes.

1 Like

The scale of both my HP and LP is 1.000 on X, Y, and Z, and the model is about 1.8m tall. What should I do with the scaling ? Should I scale it up or down ?

1 Like

Try up perhaps double, under 10m. Testing, experimenting, is the only thing to do.

2 Likes

It worked ! I had to scale it by 8 though, reaching about 14m, then I baked the Cavity map. The larger I scaled it, the fewer dots there were after baking. Once I had only a few of them, I used the Smear tool in the Paint panel of the Image Editor to remove them. Then I scaled the models down to their original size.

I don’t think I could have found it out by myself :sweat_smile: I 'm still relatively new to blender and 3D modeling in general, I don’t know yet what to experiment with.

Also, I’m always usinbg the latest stable version of blender since I got it by Steam, and it updates on a regular basis.

Thank you very much for your time helping me :smiley: !

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms