2023 Collab: Week 4 “Game related” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2023, week 4 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Game related”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-01-28T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

6 Likes

Your companion cube falling for you.

This is my first time rendering a scene instead of just an object. The Portal environment makes that a simple process.

16 Likes

This is a non participating model, I made this one half a year ago. I’ll be working on a different game vehicle for this challenge but decided to share to provide some ideas

12 Likes

A wacky vehicle from a wacky game. I’d like to add more to this.

Added some planets and asteroids:

Added Ring to planet. Changed label on the side of vehicle from floating decal, to a texture painted label thus more legible and less the center of attention. Improved the textures of the vehicle in general.

Changed position of planets and gave the vehicle model more “breathing room” in the frame. Changed angle of asteroids and added more.

Brightened the exhaust from the back of the vehicle.

12 Likes

Thanks for sharing. You nailed the expression on the boat. I look forward to seeing what you will make next. :+1:

2 Likes

Your model of the companion cube is very accurate. I also enjoy the lonely atmosphere of the lighting. Great work. :+1:

2 Likes

That’s no moon.

12 Likes

10 Likes

I always enjoy an F-Zero reference. Excellent work on the texturing. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m still waiting for the next F-Zero game

1 Like

Same. A fan of the F-Zero franchise made a game of there own recently. It is titled “Aero GPX” it’s work in progress, but available for download as far as I know. It has a cell-shaded art style.

I think this is my favorite that I’ve seen of your work so far. Nice model, good textures/colors, nice framing/composition. Awesome!

2 Likes

I made a scene from one of my all-time favorites: Into the Breach.

Reference

Previous Versions

Tried some different compositions, put my favorite one on top of the post.

V1.

V2.

V3.

How do you guys feel about mixing toon shading with photorealistic elements (e.g. depth of field, volume shaders)? I’m new to toon shading, and I think has a really cool vibe. However, I really like the way depth of field can bring focus to an image, and I’m used to using it, but maybe it’s a bit out of place with something toon shaded. Or maybe I’m a little too dependent on it.

12 Likes

Oldest and timeless essential gaming related items.

15 Likes

I’d say go for it. Depth of field really helps with directing where you want your viewers to look. It’s also something I don’t see in toon-shaded imagery really all that much. Upon viewing your image, I’d say that games should use this approach more. Your work looks like an actual remake of the game. :+1:

2 Likes

Good thought!

2 Likes

Nice work on the textures. I especially like the cup.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was rather pleased with managing to make that hammered effect, procedurally too which I rarely use.

3 Likes

I like it. The dice are cool too, but I feel like the dots should be recessed inward, concave like. Depends on the type of dice you’re going for, of course.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms