2022 Collab: Week 18 “Low poly art style game props" - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 18 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Low poly art style game props”.

• “Low poly art style game props" - Low poly art began during the early days of 3D animation. Creating a low poly artwork helped to speed up the process of animation because it reduced rendering times. This technique is still used today. However, low poly art has become appreciated in its own right, growing increasingly popular as a design trend. Read more about the subject.

• Subject selected by the previous week 16 "1,000 Tris” winner: bOBaN

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-05-07T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

6 Likes

My Submission

The Ancient Sword-

Details of my Ancient Sword Scene:-

9 Likes

So, after seeing the very nice sword, I’m having doubts if what I’m posting is what was meant by the topic… specifically ‘prop’. But I’m posting it anyway just in case a setting also fits into the prop idea.

9 Likes

I have a question. I had put textures on the wool and knitting and tabletop, but when I looked at examples of low poly art stuff, I didn’t see any, so I removed them. My question is, would textures be ok? the wool and knitting did look a lot better with them…

3 Likes

No problem!
But the previous collab was already about low poly and material node to let it look very realistic.

2 Likes

The difference here is that the examples linked to the explanation were all without textures, it seemed, so I thought that was an element. In the previous low poly, the criteria was simply 1000 tris.

1 Like

Yes, this time my intention was to aim not in some polygon count, but to aim at low poly art style. It usually has low triangles… but not always! For example, this barrel (not a submission):

is 1082 triangles… but it has this art style… The helmet I made in previous collab had less triangles (1000), but is not in the low poly art style.

5 Likes

Well, textures are back. And this is my entry for the collab.

10 Likes

Is that a scorpion yarn and needle holder, or is the scorpion knitting?!? :laughing:
I feel it could use some slightly stronger lighting to accentuate it, it’s such a stand out element of the scene, but it’s hard to see at first.

My eye is drawn to the metallic holder as the main focal point, which might not be what you want?
I also like the newspaper and glasses in the back, but I wonder how the scene would look with some more depth of field.

2 Likes

yes, the scorpion is knitting… Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see if I can improve the lighting. I can see the scorpion and what it’s doing perhaps because I know it’s there and what it’s doing, hahahahaha! And no, the metallic holder is not the focal point. I tried to make it that the scorpion knitting is discovered as you look at the scene, but if it is hard to tell what it is doing, then this is not successful. As for depth of field :thinking: no idea how to change that.

2 Likes

Third time lucky. I hope, hahaha!

9 Likes

If you select your camera, then go to it’s properties, you can check Depth of Field:

Then you can either manually adjust the focus or select an object for it to auto focus on.

8 Likes

Great! thanks. I knew I’d seen that somewhere.

Nice Construction. Something Ancient Greek about it.

3 Likes

Here’s my entry. I doubt I’ll have time to make any further changes so it is what it is :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

I challenged myself to make multiple objects that have exactly the same style and theme.

Here's a close up of each model.

bench

candy floss

carousel

circus sign

clown

tent

ticket booth

wagon

wheel

7 Likes

Very nice. Looks like you were a busy bee. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, I barely made it. Breakdown will be in Modular dungeon final project - WIP/Diary as the models are the part of that project.

9 Likes

Thanks! Not really… I reused a couple of objects from my previous projects so it didn’t take much time at all to finish it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject [week 19 “Sci-fi Weapons” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Low poly art style game props” challenge may select a subject for week 20.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms