2021 Collab: Week 32 “Mousetrap” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 32 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Mousetrap”.

• Mousetrap - I am thinking around the old game The Incredible Machine. A series of objects in a chain like a domino effect, that ends up catching the mouse. Apparently also known as ‘Rube Goldberg machine’ principle.
    Still image as entry, but participants could make a simple animation to show it working.

• Subject selected by the previous week 30 winner NP5 - “Book, books”

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline: 2021-08-14T21:55:00Z

2 Likes

Summary

Cycles 128 samples, no de-noiser.
1920x1080, about 11 minutes (old laptop).
Cheese smell/smoke = bitmap.
622K verts, 624K faces, 1.2444M tri’s, 35 objects.
Huge face count due to the weight and mouse sculpt.

13 Likes

I think I’ve seen that cheese before. Long, long ago.

1 Like

No!, just fresh, out of the box. I’ll add some smoke …

1 Like

@FedPete so glad to see you carrying on the blender collab!
and to see you still here along with how good you have gotten at it all! You were always good but now you are just about a Blender Master :slight_smile: Congrats mate! i remember the first day you posted here asking a question about the pyramid course so many years ago now!
the level of work in the collab is amazing! the base level has improved immensely from the early days when i was around ! all of you are really bloody good ! Michael and his course have created a great community of very talented artists here :slight_smile: You guys all rock!

5 Likes

Thank you very much. I appreciate this immensely.

You can see that a lot of practice is actually the most important factor. I started in 2016 and I have to say, I actually spend too much time on Blender and community. I still like doing it. There is always something to learn. Also from new inexperienced people. And because of all the new features in Blender.
Hardware is still a problem. Projects were slow back then, due to inexperienced work methods. Now because I want more, like sculpting, high res bitmap. And Blender 2.93 and up, no longer works on win7.
So I’m, like many others, still learning.

So, what is your story after two years of absence?

PS. Michael, doesn’t work for GameDev anymore. He started a new journey with Blender and Godot game development.

4 Likes

I hope there are more submissions this week. I haven’t had the time to create anything for the collab this week, probably not next week either.
I did, however, make a mockup product ad:

Yes, I did use a still from the work in progress in a previous collab. :smiley:

2 Likes

I guess this one is kind of a tough one, really liked @FedPete submission, I’ve been working on something else actually so I don’t have anything to submit
I mean I can try and do a quick one such as this

(Wasn’t sure if it should be on the wall hole or near it)

6 Likes

Quick try is good. It trains your Blender memory muscles. Quick setups, trying out ideas.

I would do a bit more closeup. The trap and mouse hole are the important features.

Ugh just got the image done. Animation will be late!

6 Likes

WOW, ingenious! That poor mouse is going to trap himself. :grin:

BTW, love the texture you used on the floor, not that the wall texture isn’t nice too. I just often find it hard to find nice textures for floors for use with my 3D apps.

2 Likes

My Submission.

5 Likes

Mouse must be very lazy for this trap… :joy:

Voting for “Mousetrap” theme - week 32

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 33 “ Dice game has already started. The winner of this week’s “Mousetrap” challenge may select a subject for week 34.

2 Likes

Finally got the animated version working!

9 Likes

A lot of work!
Is it Blender physics and or (partly) animated?

You could add different camera views, to zoom in on things.
Emphasizing the details. Like the ball roller-coaster …
Same animation data, but a re-render for some frames.

1 Like

All very new to me animating it.
It is a mix of physics and just moved animated. Dominoes and ball, physics.
Time constraints, I would have liked the fan to blow the ball with wind but it would need looking up etc. The fall of the ‘cage’ could have been physics but I was running out of time to get the image ready for the collab.
Certainly would have liked to do cut scenes following the action.

I had enough trouble rendering the animation. Weirdly it was working fine in the viewport, then the overnight render the ball flew off at the second curve. I was sure I had touched nothing.
Then a try with Eevee would not join up the image sequence, something about not doing borders. I guessed that was the square format I had used, so redid it in standard shape in Cycles last night and that time the ball stayed on track! Then the borders error thing came up again. :rage: Searched about and found a reference to unticking the border render box. That fixed it! Then it sequenced it all in reverse! :rage: eventually found the file browser selection was by date, so last made first on the list. Changed that to name priority selection and it then worked! Well sort of, the quality seems poorer than directly from Blender running its version. Probably some compression effects.

I had hoped more would try very simple movement animation. Probably did not get the idea over well enough. Simple models, simple animation. I will add this to my list of things I would like to work on! It is a subject that enables all sorts of simple animations, one after the other.

1 Like

Amazing :clap::clap:

1 Like

Yes, I understood you correctly. But I knew also, it’s hard to do this in a 7 day period!
A mechanism like you showed us, is beautiful but also difficult. To show all you need to zoom out, but then you don’t see the details. Zoomed in, everything needs be be exact and exact. That’s why I said earlier, different camera angles. That you don’t have to show everything working in the right order. Let people fill in the gaps in their mind. Id the ball flies out of control, don’t render that part …

But you’ve learned something new and that is a plus. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Great job @NP5 - I remember seeing this and thought you might find of some value if you return to adding the fan…

1 Like

Privacy & Terms