2021 Collab: Week 31 “Bird, Birds” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 31 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Bird, Birds”.

• Bird, Birds - Birds are a group of warm-blooded vertebrates constituting the class Aves, characterized by feathers, toothless beaked jaws, the laying of hard-shelled eggs, a high metabolic rate, a four-chambered heart, and a strong yet lightweight skeleton…

• Subject selected by the previous week 29 winner Digitz - “ Jewelry”

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline: 2021-08-07T21:55:00Z

1 Like

Inflatable duck.

6 Likes

Old Collab entry perfect garden

5 Likes

I’m going to try to have a photo realistic bird done for this one.
But I’m not going to participate, even if I complete a “submission”, I want to be excluded from the voting this week.

Progress though, primary and secondary wing feathers, as well as tail feathers modeled and textured.

3 Likes

Great start, I found this video and am excited to see what you do with it.

How did you paint the wings?

I’m out for this one and the next theme too. I’m not getting anywhere at the moment, my ideas are just too big for my skills so far…

I started with this idea and have another one in mind.
But I also stumbled across an interesting tool, maybe someone would like to try it.

Have fun, and see you in a fortnight (I’m on holiday for now).

4 Likes

Yes, there are amazing tools and workflows available for 3D creations (Blender). Thanks, for sharing.

Enjoy your time off. :slight_smile:

The feathers, I found some images of blue jay feathers, cobbled them together in Krita and erased everything around them. Saved as a .png and setup the shader nodes with that image.

6 Likes

Birds :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :ok_hand: :+1:

Sorry, I forgot something realistic in my scene, here is my final entry.

6 Likes

It’s essential … :wink:

1 Like

Next week 32 challenge, subject “ Mousetrap ”.

A Note for the @BlenderCollab group.

If you receive this alert you are part of the Blender Collab message group!

You can unsubscribe yourself from this group, visiting this unsubscribe link. Or using the main menu and select Groups. If you want to join this weekly collab group, use the same link/group to subscribe yourself to this group.

With our own Blender Collab Group, you don’t need to ask me to join or be removed from the list!
This new feature is possible thanks to @OboShape.

2 Likes

I know it’s not a winner, but I didn’t have much time. Any ideas why I get those triangle shades on the beak?

It’s shade smooth, face orientation is correct

7 Likes

This looks great. The triangles on the beak are likely from one of two reasons or both.

1. Flat shading. In object mode, right click on your mesh and choose shade smooth.
  2. Tris instead of quads. This could have been an accidental Ctrl+t with everything selected in edit mode or some setting with a remesh. Hard to say what caused it, but the probable fix is to go into edit mode, select all with a and go to the Face menu and choose Tris to Quads (Alt+j).

I definitely ran out of time this week. I fell down a rigging and animating hole, forgot to keyframe one of the wing positions before converting it to an action and, well, I took a break lol.

2 Likes

I already said it is smooth shaded and it’s not the other either. Could be a bug because of the hair particles, I just hope it’s not something I’ll come along again.

I’m sorry to hear about rigging problems, I know I put that away for a while since it’s frustratingly difficult, though I love animating.

Glass birds …

I like the beak effect, but can it be the way the material is created?
Do you have a special modifier added?
Are you showing wire-frame instead of faces …?

If you apply the material to a cube, do you see the same problem?

(I would make the eyes more shiny, less roughness)

:grin: :laughing: :rofl:

(Just too funny for words!)

3 Likes

Could you show a picture of the meshes in edit mode and solid view?

It has a hair bsdf material. Come to think of it, it could be that. I’ll ckeck :thinking:

EDIT: Yep, that was it. It’s the principled hair bsdf material that is shading in a triangulated pattern. Weird. Thank’s @FedPete !

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms