2021 Collab: Week 03 “Things on the Road” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 3 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Things on the Road”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline: 2021-01-23T22:55:00Z

6 Likes

Hey guys,

Dropping a note in this one as these are getting buried in the show category now and i feel we need more visibility on this.
Therefore i have created its own category within the blender courses category

As not to disturb the current collab i suggest that this be continued here but all future ones should be posted in the new category as it should be so much easier to find!

9 Likes

Thanks, we could use more exposure.

3 Likes

Seems that for this week I’m out of ideas what to do (again). I might end up with making some random simple props that are on the road and focus on texture painting on them to make them as realistic as possible… or maybe do a car? What ideas do you have for this week Collab?

I’m working on a Diner. I’m trying to squeeze as much archviz practice as possible out of each week. I think there’s a lot of potential - food trucks or street food stalls

11 Likes

Oh that’s cool! One of the ideas I had was dinner or a gas station, but due to the time constraints I have I most probably wouldn’t be able to fit in one week :frowning:

1 Like

There’s a lot of really cool abandoned gas station photos and references out there.

1 Like

Looks like I’ve been missing out on all the fun! Will probably be participating in one of these again soon. I’ve looked at the past couple of collabs, and you guys have done great with your submissions!

2 Likes

After some hours of brainstorming I got an idea. This time around I decided to keep a diary: https://community.gamedev.tv/t/things-on-the-road-collab-2021w03-diary

2 Likes

No diary this time, just a preview. Eevee render, working with a reference. Just block modeling.

Have fun.

14 Likes

Nice idea! And that already looks good! (seems that even if the forum did told me that I’m out of likes I still can like all the post I want :D)

1 Like

Something nice and simple , that we see all over the roads.
Ive added lights ‘inside’ the road lights , someone said about setting the material to emit but I couldnt get the effect I was looking for.
Also at the top of the cone the real ones have a curved inset, I dont know how to do that yet , so I added some loop cuts and used the bevel function , then made the top ‘solid’ .
really looking forward to learning new techniques.

11 Likes

Looks cool. And despite you didn’t achieve your goal with lighting it looks cool in my opinion. You might want to chekc out glare node (with fog glow) in compositor for some nice effect if using cycles (which I guess you did use) or bloom setting for Eevee.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Here is my submission. Hope you all like this.

12 Likes

Rules are only one entry!
You can show multiple versions etc. But we pick the last entry we see for the voting list.
Just to let you know.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the information

I had everything set up, but texture painting was a mess. I’m not ready for this project-wise speaking. I need brushes, but where to get them. Then I’ll use my own but how to manage them … Some downloadable things are in .PSD format, I can not open or see them (Blender supports it I know). I’m using 4K images, but my computer gets slow, difficult to draw. Had baked cavity maps etc. these slow down the material setup.

So I uploaded this version of a parking meter, fresh out of the box. Only basic illustration prints, made in Inkscape and Gimp. Currently busy with setting up my Brush Library and add-ons. Getting prepared for a next project and use this object for the material study.

Edit: Eevee render, some problems with shadows … A cycles version, look beter but problems with the glass setup from Eevee.

6 Likes

It’s nearly voting time, but we have already a next subject, created by @Reginaldo_Junior,
The winner of week 2 “Furniture”.

2 Likes

Uploading now in case of any problems on the way to final render. Seems that today Blender is trying to slow me down with crashes… Will edit this post with new images when ready.

As mentioned earlier, the diary and credits for some of the models (most notably - cars) are in this thread:

8 Likes

Privacy & Terms