Unread notifications not clearing / GameDev.tv logo behaviour

Is the font and logo issue fixed now?

Hey @sampattuzzi, yes, it appears to be working again now - not sure if it’s different or not, but when I clicked on it to get back to the main forum screen it seemed to reload the whole page a fresh, where-as typically before it’s always just felt like it went back? Not sure if it had a specific URL set before or just a javascript history function call before? In either case, it is working.

Update

Yeah, definitely doesn’t feel quite the same, it appears to be doing a hard refresh each time at my end now, which means a bit of a wait for the page to load.

Font looks better yes, not as big now, so the topic titles tend not to wrap as much :thumbsup:

Uncertain whether it’s related to any other changes or not, but to be clear, the unread notifications are still b0rked :slight_smile:

I don’t think those are related to my changes unfortunately.

Hmmm… if it’s a Discourse update that’s a bit rough then… it’s incredibly frustrating…

*grumble* *moan* can’t cope with change *grumble* *moan* :smiley:

I have tried to improve the refresh. Does that work better?

1 Like

It’s probably a bit ambiguous as only me testing at this end and maybe the browser has started caching (or not), it does seem a bit quicker than it did when I responded a few minutes ago - I don’t remember seeing the spinner originally though as it loaded the posts. It may be that I just never noticed it, but it is noticeable at the moment.

I would typically be at the bottom of a topic with comments, click on the title and it would go back up a level, then displayed the GameDev.tv logo, which when clicked just went back instantly, from what I can remember. Sorry, probably not a great deal of help…

Just to add… it is literally only taking a second with the spinner, might just be my impatience! :slight_smile:

Update

Also @sampattuzzi - have you resolved this? It doesn’t look to be navy anymore and appears to be the same as the rest of the screen? I will close the topic if so…

This one still needs resolving though, literally impossible to read.

…and I have noticed that the image backgrounds stop after the image height is met… did it do that before? This post is suitably long which demonstrates it well…

…as you are playing with the CSS etc :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Glad it improved at least in perception.

I think we had that before.

I think this is solved indeed.

I really don’t remember it though, and it stands out a fair bit - the one for the lounge etc, I remember the topics scrolling, but not that big grey background?

Those other CSS items I guess you didn’t have time to look at Sam? I will leave those topics as open for now then.

Not sure if anything was changed with regards to the CSS for hyperlinks or not, but I noticed on the list of blocked Facebook users a lot of these now stay white as opposed to the behaviour that they had before, also, on mobile (phone in my case) the links in my longer response above to, they are white also - which left me thinking when I read your response that perhaps I hadn’t pasted the links in - but having returned the laptop they appear ok.

Whilst the logo behaviour is sorted, the unread items issue still exists - anyone checking on this?

Cheers :slight_smile:

I raised the issue about the unread notifications on the Discourse forum and got some feedback really quickly from @codinghorror and another member of there. Jeff turned off the customisation settings briefly to test whether it may have been any local changes that caused the issue - after he had done this the unread notifications started to work again. I asked him to pop the settings back as they were and mentioned that I would link to the thread here for the team etc…

The discussion can be seen here.

Unfortunately, as a new user on that form I hit the maximum number of replies for one day, so I can’t respond for 24 hours other than view updating existing posts, which may go unread/unnoticed.

Sorry about that! It does look like the CSS is a problem, in particular when height is set to 100%.

The customization is disabled at the moment. To re-enable:

• Admin
  • Customize
  • HTML/CSS
  • “labels”
  • Check the “enabled” checkbox at lower right
1 Like

hehe, no worries Jeff, thanks for your help - I edited a post to try and let you know as I couldn’t reply any more today :slight_smile:

I will leave it for @Ben, @sampattuzzi and team to take a look at now but at least we have ruled out any updates/upgrades etc, and again, thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

Sam, the background images (lounge etc) don’t have the grey layer sliding over them now either.

1 Like

That’s odd. Why would the body and html having height:100% be a problem for the unread notifications?

Because when height is mucked with, the javascript code that makes up
Discourse cannot detect what is visible on the screen accurately and mark
it read. Just a theory but as you can see disabling the CSS changes also
fixed the problem.

I am not sure what is going on with the forums but I to am having issues running the forums. The Community button is missing. Half the time the change change category buttons and such are missing as well. This just started happening this past week. Definitely, the topics are not clearing like they use to.

But the “unread messages” problem seems to have been fixed. At least for this thread.

1 Like

@sampattuzzi I believe this is all fixed now?

Not really @Ben, as Jeff turned off the customisations etc, thus the Community, Voting and so on buttons are not on display at this time - but the original functionality (unread message/background image for forums etc) is working again.

We did have the Community, Voting etc buttons and the other functionality all working together for a while, it looks like it may have only been the most recent of changes which caused them to stop working. You can obviously just turn it back on to get all the buttons back and the other more recent changes, it just means that the unread messages and background image scrolling will go break again. Jeff was really just testing a theory he had regarding the customisation hence it being turned off, now that it points to that you could turn it back on and you know what the issue is - it just needs fixing :slight_smile:

Should be for all threads at this time @Todd_Vance :slight_smile:

Okay, I will have to think of another way to implement that type of menu.

1 Like

I’ve not seen this issue for a while, can you guys confirm this issues has gone away for you too?

Auto-closing 48h after last response.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms