Tyger's Toy Factory

I decided I want to make some quicker builds in addition to long-term projects. So I’ve been trying to make one or two simpler things each day. I’ll post them here as I make them. Maybe some day I’ll animate them or make a scene with them.

Here are the first two. As always, I appreciate any feedback you guys may have!

Low Poly Brontosaurus

Stone Gorilla Head

7 Likes

It’s really good to perform many smaller projects.
It gives you insight in conversion real life to model.
Big project will exists forever. And it takes a lot of time, while earning not that much.
Better improving yourself bit by bit.
I do like modeling, but a lot of time is also spend on composition, lighting, texturing, UV-mapping, Rigging, animation. The complexity in large projects is huge.

So, show us your progress. Or take part in a weekly challenge.

Or re-start The Blender Collab; Weekly Themed Gallery (Week 21)

1 Like

Both nice and very different.

1 Like

@FedPete

The complexity in large projects is huge.

It’s true. I think it’s good to do both. I think I really learned a lot on the relatively larger projects involved in the course. And it feels good to stick with something over a long period of time. But it’s also possible to get burned out working on one thing too long. I’m enjoying doing a little of both. Working on my human head project for the course, then working on something light and fun for a little while.

Or take part in a weekly challenge.

I haven’t done many of these. On the one hand, I want to have freedom to make whatever I want. On the other hand, it would probably be good for building skills to work within some guidelines/limitations. Have you done them before?

Or re-start The Blender Collab; Weekly Themed Gallery (Week 21)

I remember someone was talking about doing this around the end of last year. Maybe it’s a good idea.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

The Hand that Grabs

Just a simple hand. But I rigged it so I can pose it.

It gets pretty weird-looking when the fingers close. I think it’s probably due to the vertex/bone weights, but I don’t know. Anyway, I didn’t want to spend too much time on it. Kinda gives it a unique crappy quality.

2 Likes

Did you use the option, “keep volume”.
It helps a bit.
I see others, also use shape keys. to fix bending problems.
These shape keys, are dynamically connected to the bone bending.
Is more an advance technique.

It takes you out of your comfort zone. So learning from a different perspective.

Some of my old collabs:

1 Like

Where do I find “Keep volume”? As for the other technique, if it’s more advanced, I probably won’t get into it now, as I’m not trying to do too much animation at the moment. Maybe some day.

I found the thread I mentioned about doing collabs. Here’s a link to that one. Maybe we can get it going again.

edit: Is it “Preserve Volume” in the armature modifier settings?
2020-04-14 20_26_14-Window

That helped a bit, but still kinda funky-looking.

1 Like

Just for people who are interested.

VOLUME :: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/deform/armature.html

And Shape keys

1 Like

Yes, correct option. yes it’s not an miracle option. Shape keys and armature are the way to go.

1 Like

A simple hand axe. Could use some more fine detailing as well as textures, but I think this is enough for now.

6 Likes

Cutting edge axe!

Um, Tyger’s toy factory. No sharp instruments? Health and safety for children’s toys you know! :rofl:

2 Likes

Kids these days are too soft. Back in my day we learned axes were sharp when we accidentally chopped our fingers off! That’s the way it was and we liked it! :older_man:

2 Likes

So true. Reminds me I was chopping kindling before secondary school certainly, with a similar sized axe. Along with laying and lighting the house fire, (playing with matches they call it now). The holding of a newspaper over the fireplace to speed up the airflow over the started fire, a particular H&S nightmare! :laughing:

2 Likes

A modeled and then poorly sculpted fist. For all your punching needs.

5 Likes

Hey practice makes perfect! Keep it up!

2 Likes

(American) Football

Game ready!

4 Likes

Made a couple reusable assets during this week’s collab.

Just some simple balloons. Not too special but they were easy to make, so they were cost effective.

This one took a little longer for its quality level, which is also quite simple. Could use some better detailing (I should have added a glowing red record light!), but it’s good enough for now.

This one was my favorite though. I like how the materials turned out. I love shiny metallic things!

4 Likes

Love these assets.
These are good for your library.
Give good names and place them in collections.
Save screen shot for quick reference.

1 Like

Thanks!

What do you mean by collections? Like make a master file with a bunch of assets in it?

Privacy & Terms