Orc Baking Question

Hey, was doing the baking thing and my uv unwraps weren’t the cleanest, due to the bumps and all that on the shoulders and legs, no matter what I did they had some stretching anomalies, so I decided to not tear my hair out and proceed, it wasn’t that bad. However when I went to bake my textures, and I needed to lower the max ray distance veeeery far to make it usable, should I keep going?

EDIT: Continued on and I realized I don’t think there is a way to fix this, the shading errors are crazy bad and I don’t know what to do without starting all over lol, if anyone has anything let me know

1 Like

Search the Ask section for baking issues, lots of ready made advice to problems there.

Obvious things to check. Faces all the right way round on both models.
Smooth shading on both.
Normal maps must be set to non colour data.

Use some of the newer extrusion parameter when baking. Was not there for the lecture Blender version.

1 Like

Hi, we have a WIKI page with similar problems and solutions.
An option is to use the cage option, also described in the wiki.

Let us know if the problem persists.

1 Like

You can also try “on cage” option. You have to make 3rd copy of your model and scale it/wrap it above the model you are baking on to. So it evelopes it neatly. Than that will automaticaly determin ray lenght for you bake. That isnt covered in lecture but I find it very helpfull and accurate.
Here is link for Grants youtube tut for that. Good explanation

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms