Feedback for Section: "Crypt Raider"

Wow. That’s so racist.

The section on placing the gargoyle, crash to desktop every time. :frowning:

LoginId:8189fbfb49d5b6f5ce2766abe21eb9fe
EpicAccountId:7e9abf537d5e4ba098b590cca955988e

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000000000c0

UnrealEditor_Dungeon_patch_0!UMover::SetShouldMove() [H:\Unreal Projects\Dungeon\Source\Dungeon\Mover.cpp:58]

UPDATE:
So not sure if I missed this or not, but my TriggerComponent.cpp was missing this in the TickComponent (I don;t recall this being covered in the lectures):

if (Mover == nullptr)
{
	return;
}

So that got rid of the crash, but it doesn’t work. Is it just me or is Unreal Engine 5 INCREDIBLY unstable? It seems to keep forgetting changes that have 100% been saved if it crashes - now I suspect my Gargoyle is broken someone as the trigger component registers the BP_Player inside it, but not the gargoyle object. The Gorgoyle also doesn’t “wake” anymore and it takes an everage of 3 successful clicks to lift it, but the wake code is still there.

I’ve found that adding basic shapes (rectangles) to “block out” the shape of level underground/inside sections, and then putting the mesh “skins” in front of those shapes prevents any light from bleeding from the outside.

Alternatively, axe the courtyard concept, and just destroy the sun (directional light) so there is no outside light!

1 Like

I am also having the issues where UE5 just randomly removes components or changes parameters i’ve set in the details pane. Though I’ve never had my C++ code affected. When I get a crash or have to close and reopen my project, I check the most recent changes I’ve done inside the Editor to make sure they haven’t changed (adding components, C++ components in content drawer, etc). If I think something is off, I close UE5 and run “CryptRaiderEditor Win64 Development Build” (sometimes Rebuild if its really not working). For me, this seems to insure that nothing will go missing for a good little while. Eventually, it becomes rinse and repeat though.

The latter part of this lecture making any changes in VSCode that pertain to Blueprints or across components seems to make UE5 crash. I don’t know if this is because of the Live Coding feature, UE5 being buggy, or possibly VSCode itself. Please make sure you have AutoSave turned on in VSCode. Also, since things inside the editor revert themselves I’d look there first before going crazy reviewing your code line by line (you should only have to look at the last few things you’ve changed). For me, my trigger component box kept resetting and I’d have to reposition it over and over.

After looking at a few forums people seem to laugh at people using VSCode to do UE coding. It seems the consensus is to use VisualStudio2022 or some other complier that is subscription based (I forgot). I plan to try VS2022 in the next section.

Hope I helped a little.

I never had to insert this into my code. I’d be interested to see the code for the three components we’ve been working on to give better advice. However, if your really pulling hairs out you could always click Resources under the relevant video and click on “This Lectures Project Changes” → in the right hand pane navigate to files → then next to “History” and “Find File” click the download button → open up the downloaded project in VSCode.

Now you should have two VSCode “workspaces” or projects open. You can then “shift+left-click” any two files and right-click to compare selected. This will allow you to compare your files against the instructors (although his will be the final completed file so keep that in mind). This might not be a perfect solution if you haven’t been matching their code perfectly, but it will give you something to reference against.

Hope this helps.

If someone else runs into a problem with Live Coding permanently breaking like I did (I had to build from IDE every code change) and a message having to do with json version 1.2, here is a thread that explains how to fix it in VS2022. I’m not sure what the process would be in VS Code, but switching to Studio and changing the BuildConfiguration.xml file and MSVC version as described allowed me to use Live Coding again.

Unhandled exception when building blank project: Version (“1.2”) is not supported version - Unreal Engine / Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

1 Like

I’m still using VS 2019 and haven’t had any issues with Live Coding. Another student recently reported a similar experience after falling back to VS 2019 as well. For those who are having trouble with VS Code or VS 2022, you might consider downloading VS 2019 for the time being until a few patches get released.

1 Like

In Lumen & Lighting part it is worth to point out that if under Scalability your Global Illumination quality is medium or lower, then even if you block the light, your room still looks lit.

1 Like

The way I’ve found to set the project up with Github Desktop and not have the folder within a folder issue is like this:

1. Create the project using Unreal Engine (don’t start the repo just yet)
  2. Once UE opens up, open up Github Desktop and select File > Add local repo
  3. Select the project’s folder
  4. Where it says "This directory does not appear to be a Git repository. Would you like to create a repository here instead? Click on the blue words “create a repository”
  5. Very important to select the Unreal Engine Git ignore on the following screen.
  6. Click on “Create repository”
  7. Now you can publish the repo by clicking on “Publish repository” in the upper right.

Note: There shouldn’t be any changes being listed on the changes list on the left-hand side of Github Desktop because this is a brand new project.

This is a key point to checking that version control is set up properly before starting work inside UE. If there are changes already showing up, it’s a sign something isn’t set up properly. Delete the project, restart the entire process over again making sure to select the Unreal Engine gitignore when prompted.

1 Like

Wanted to finish the lesson before giving feedback. I have zero programming in my background, I’m an art guy, so I understand my problems are solely attributed to being a beginner, I’m still trying to wrap my head around simple vocabulary so it doesn’t take much to overwhelm me.

I did enjoy the overall product of this project, it felt more rewarding to put in the effort towards something that not only looked cool but had a fun mechanic compared to making a 2D “Jump over the box” style of project. I did notice the lessons in the beginning had a different pacing compared to the end. The beginning felt manageable, digestible, towards the end it felt fast and frantic and that’s where I started running into a lot of mistakes by trying to keep up, I wasn’t properly digesting the material and made simple mistakes because of it. I was having to rebuild the project in VSC more often with this lesson, I’m not sure why, but it’s an added distraction that I think made it a bit more tough, but I learned to troubleshoot that, so I’ll call it “win.”

Thank you so far for the lessons, I think I’ll come back and finish the other ones at a later point. I’m going to go look into the blueprint course, maybe connecting nodes to boxes is something my simple brain can better understand. Thanks again!

1 Like

After having some trouble with VSCode, I took the advice of those above and started using Visual Studio instead. Seems to be working a lot better but I have lost the functionality of the UE_LOG autocomplete which came from the CAPTNCAPS extension in VSCode.

Does anyone know of a similar extension or way to have Visual Studio recognize this shortcut?

I agree. I’m the same as you. The beginning felt nice, inspiring, exciting, and rewarding for a 0 experience dude. I even managed to solve most of the challenges by myself.

By the Crypt section, it’s a play-pause-play-pause nightmare. 42 episodes and each GLANCE over a complex function, then proceed to rush to the next, leaving the viewer frustrated and making it impossible to remember what, why, and how, so that you’re unable to actually learn, which is the whole point. Not to mention there were an incredible amount of errors and crashes, needing to rebuild code in VSC, project parameters resetting even if saved, etc. I barely got all the stuff to work by the end of it, thanks to Googling error codes and trial and error, which then (the problems) disappear if you restart the Editor and etc. (not beginner friendly!)

Really poorly planned out section, to say the least. The beginning of the course was fun and inspiring, like a walk in the park. By the Crypt section, you’re on the Autobahn as a student driver. What the hell? It really felt like he already expects everyone to be experienced in C++, even though it’s supposed to be a beginner course.

3 Likes

Just finished this section, I really enjoyed the walkthrough while using UE 5.1

I couple of things that would have been nice additions.

1. Intro to sound, I see in the topics for toon tanks we get to sound, but it would have been nice to add some flame sounds to the torches or a rock grinding sound for the mover components.

2. Would have liked to have been introduced to how event management works by refactoring how the TriggerComponent used it’s GetAcceptableActor function by checking every tick to only being called when the overlapping event fires ( I believe we see this for a short second in the BP version when printing out the name) but when we move to C++ we didn’t copy this functionality.

Other than that, great lesson!

I’m halfway through the Unreal 5.0 C++ Developer course (right now on the cryptraider part), and while the teaching’s been ok until now, it’s starting to get on my nerves. I’m specifically refering to the coding, which is very fast paced and doesn’t give enough structure for me to actually learn. Code is mostly added and removed without too much context. Sure, I can repeatedly pause the video, write the same code that the teacher writes and make it work. But do I actually know what I’m doing? No.

Other C++ courses place pointers, classes etc in the advanced section. They are not beginner topics. But this course treats them as such in order to “make something happen” in the editor/game. It’s a bit like trying to run before you can walk. Suggestions for improvement would be to slow things down, add more context for the coding (why and how things work) and also to remind the student about things from previous lectures. Perhaps providing a cheat sheet of earlier topics. It’s very frustrating trying to find a specific detail from a previous video lecture, that you forgot because it was briefly mentioned just once.

I can add that I’m not a complete beginner either. I’ve worked in Unreal Editor before and also done some coding in Python and C.

Hi. I understand what you’re trying to say here.

With Unreal, to code in C++ you kind of have to learn stuff like pointers very quickly because you cannot really develop without using them. Unreal pointers are a lot simpler than C++ as a whole as most objects clean up after themselves, as long as they are initialised of course. Classes also fall into the same category and Unreal again is heavy on their use and also inheritance, another more advanced topic.

There is a course that deals with just C++ and this may be a more suitable for a beginner to start with (in fact, it is generally recommended for those completely new to programming)

You mention C as a language you’ve used. One thing I learned recently in my day job is C developers often don’t adapt well to C++ because while it shares the C, the ++ is wildly different. C Itself is a procedural language whereas C++ is multi-paradigm. This often complicates things when moving to the language as you can easily work in C++ without the use of classes at all. Also with modern C++, you tend not use legacy pointers like C but rather smart pointers, again something you don’t do in Unreal. Lastly, even UE C++ is different from standard C++ where you would use the STL to develop where as UE has its own libraries.

Python on the other hand is different again, and often is treated like a scripting language (top-to-bottom) whereas you can fully embrace objects and patterns and only then does the language actually become powerful.

Adding and removing code: This is coding. I spend 30% writing code, 70% testing and refactoring. This is the nature of the beast. I think it’s a great approach to get started because you often need to rework your code because while it may work, as you change your code it gets more and more complex and the best way to improve it is to start again or re-write the code.

Let me give you a bit of context here. I also started with C (about 33 years ago when I was a kid) and moved to C++ about 7 years later with about 15 other languages in between. Last year I moved to a different company and I only realised how little I actually knew about C++ which I’ve been using almost daily for the last 28 years.

With this course you’re not just learning C++. You’re learning Unreal Engine and with that, materials, dealing with 3D collisions, Blueprint, animation, lighting and so on and so it only touches on each of them with the course itself using C++ rather than just blueprint. It would be impossible to go into great detail without sacrificing some other UE feature.

The course is more an Unreal with C++ Beginners course rather than C++ beginners course.

1 Like

and do you know, you can open rider project first, and the click on RUN on top left which will open rider project and connects to rider.
Further more, you can use build and reload from rider to hotreload in rider as you code!

I’d just like to say how great this course is and give my 2 cents regarding what I’d consider unfair criticism regarding the pacing: C++ is a programming language and this course does an excellent job in explaining the basic concepts but if you’re expecting to follow along once the point of actual programming is reached with zero programming practice (not necessarily experience), you’re probably better off going for the blueprint course or at least checking out the C++ course first (the latter was mentioned by beegeedee as well).

As with any language, you need to understand the concepts/words, practice them then apply them. A lot of the complaints I’m seeing seem to be about the point where applying is required (around Crypt Raider) but there still seems to be the expectation of re-explaining without having grasped the concepts, which just isn’t fair. At that point the videos would take an hour re-explaining every little thing that was already explained previously and in truth, this is actually very basic programming. Practice and understand it a bit before diving deeper and you’ll see how actually simple the course is.

Visual Studio has native UE snippets:

It’s uelog instead of ulog but it works without installing anything other than the official UE integration :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms