2023 Collab: Week 52 “Sun” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 52 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Sun”.

• Sun - Last week had the winter solstice when daylight hours began to increase (in the northern hemisphere). So, the image of the sun, the sun as a cosmic object, light in any form, sunrise, sunset, noon - let’s play with light!
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 50 “Thing of the Year” winner Kzanna

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-12-30T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

8 Likes

Well, like last week, this is DEFINITELY going to be a very interesting collaboration, mostly because when I think of the Sun it’s usually the sunlight shining from a background HDRi shining down on the objects in the scene . . . not the Sun itself. :astonished:

OK so this blender project does not depict the sun but icarus from greek mythology who burnt his wings when flying too close to “the sun” which i’m hoping is close enough to qualify :slight_smile:

Made in blender by me :slight_smile:

ok so ive edited it based on feedback and a few things that were bugging me, merry christmas guys,

11 Likes

Sure, it does. But try to play with light.

1 Like

ok, feedback taken on board :slight_smile:

A few feathers loose and falling off away might add to it.

1 Like

i agree, i did try something of that nature in the particle system i used for the embers (the black ones) but i dont think it came out as nicely as i would have wanted, i’m going to go back to the drawing board on that and try something else, thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Playing with sunlight.

I am using an oil painting as inspiration.

Blender version

10 Likes

My Week 52 submission: A Starry Symphony of Light and Magic :star2:

As I started to think about how I could represent “sun” while playing with lights in general, I started to think about what the sun ultimately is: the star of our solar system – which is one of many in our vast galaxy… which is one of many in our vast universe (which is most likely one of many in a vast multiverse – but I digress :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

All of this steered me towards a synthesis of surrealism, smokey and swirly volumetric lighting, point lighting, procedural-texture-based emission lighting, subtle glare effects, and more.

It’s suns all the way down… and around :sparkles:

7 Likes

This star is like a hole into the starry space :star_struck:

5 Likes

7 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.

The new subject week 01 2024 “Nostalgia” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Sun” challenge may select a subject for next week 2 - 2024 and win a badge.

4 Likes

I really liked this one from the start. Though the oil painting is nice too, your render gave it the depth that made it all the more interesting. How many lights did you use?

1 Like

Three

• general sun
  • square area light in the tiny window, but it didn’t do much wall reflection,
  • so I added a point lamp on the stairs also

I wanted to do more with the wall structure/texture, but then slow material nodes and much render time. I can do fewer samples, and denoicing off, but then the result is grainy and less detailed.

2 Likes

Just saw this now, and was also wanting to submit for this week’s collab but won’t quite make it. Definitely going to try for next week! Love these Collab ideas!

3 Likes

They’re amazing – for sure! And such a great use of the Discourse platform to add a competitive-but-still-friendly voting aspect to each edition :ballot_box:

Congratulations @jimmie on your “Sun” entry! It’s a good visualization of Icarus falling from the sun. Also, a good composition and color pallet were used.

• Kzanna - I like how you made the sun the object of playing with sunlight. I think it needs a second iteration. Like the wall stones! The texture is rocky, but the block does have straight (mechanical) lines. Certainly, a project to revive, someday.
  • FedPete - The wall texture must be more distinct. While the painting uses brushstrokes to mimic wall plaster. The Blender version isn’t strong enough (I’ve tried, many long render times …)
  • CypherPoet - Beautiful colored scene. But I think the suns are more like stars in the universe. Make it more sci-fi, adding starships going through a portal …

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms