2024 Collab: Week 1 “Nostalgia” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 1 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Nostalgia”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-01-06T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Nostalgia

I reimagined a scene from a game i personally get very nostalgic about

What it looked like then
51-6mHxilP

My remake

t’was a fun project this one :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Reference

Blender 3D

More details to lights used and some composition

Mesh

9 Likes

That does bring memories!

1 Like

8 Likes

Challenged myself to work on realism/tetures this week. Unfortuneately the modelling took a lot longer than I thought and didn’t leave me much time for anything else! Here is my progress so far and will continue to work on it. I had also planned a notalgic room form my childhood, think I’ll keep that as a side project to work on modelling and texturing.

9 Likes

Looking good, i like all the detail your’ve put in it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

lookin good :slight_smile: i always like seeing the wire frame very interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think, harsh lighting and thus hard shadows …

1 Like

Yes I haven’t done anything with the lighting yet, just wanted to upload progress as I was heading out

2 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.
The new subject week 2-2024 “Myths and legends” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Nostalgia” challenge may select a subject for next week 3 and win a badge.

1 Like

Here is my finished render. They’re based on a pair of Groovy Chick skates I had in the early 2000s. Any feedback is appreciated as I want to keep learning!

10 Likes

First of all, it is a very well-constructed model! But it is still missing some parts. This brings up the question; did you do it from memory?

• I know, that modeling something one-to-one as in an exact copy is very hard to do. And if short in time, you make some shortcuts. It depends also on how you use the model (closeups, more details).

Your textures are excellent, especially the laces and sew stitching. It gives the model more realism. Because the materials used are also reflective, the use of a HDRI could be beneficial. The use of lights is very well done. Nice presentation.
The wheels are too reflective (shiny). But it doesn’t feel wrong!

Things to improve lie in the details.

• add lace bow
  • tiny details (imperfections) in the textures
  • the scale of the lace (thickness), make it more pronounced. But this will be a project of its own …

Well done. Could be part of your portfolio …

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Pete, really appreciate it.

I didn’t model it from memory but the images I did use, the angles were a bit off, so had to do some guess work. Thinking about it now I should have probably used references that did work then I could have adapted it to look like the groovy chick skates.

I tried to use a HDRI but came out very dark and the colours were a darker shade. I do need to figure that one out!

Yes! A bow would look great actually and now that I look at the laces they do seem a bit on the thin side.

Looking to put it my university application portfolio :crossed_fingers: and will polish it up with the advice given.

1 Like

I’ve struggled with this illustration. It wasn’t hard to make but I tried to make it realistic.
But then, if you are not my age, you never used this type of Joystick and the feel of nostalgia isn’t there. And the object is dull by default, only shiny rubber. To bring more dynamic into the scene I added a colorful, reflective logo into the scene. Color and reflective items do have some preference by voters (see the entry of DustyUnicorn). It’s probably the first thing you’ve made in Blender, a shiny metal ball or glass.
I was therefore surprised, that I finished first, by one vote probably. Because DustyUnicorn made a more commercially pleasant product. Shiny, colorful, and for sure girly.

• DustyUnicorn, see my comments earlier. Good job!
  • jimmie - Nice background (reuse of dungeons challenge?) - next time, make Pokemon also 3D to complete the scene.
  • TheDispicableDM, I’m a fan of Casper and Hobbes. Maybe it is the mismatch in styling. The center cartoon feeling (outlines), and the surroundings have a more painted effect. But that is the designer’s choice. - Try to study, use Grease pencil for this.
2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, in my mind i was aiming for somethin akin to the hd2d style of octopath traveler or simular but in hindsite i see that the background and the pixel art clash abit, ah-well lession learned :slight_smile:

1 Like

It can be a designer choice, experimenting with the merging of different styles.
There is no good or wrong, but sometimes it doesn’t work. Don’t give up after a first try. You need to start somewhere … :wink:

As someone who is still roller-skating every week or two this makes me really happy to see, these look extremely good. Thanks for sharing these!

All of the entries for this week were really incredible.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms