Tiger Lily, maybe

My project for this week’s Collab Challenge: ‘Flowering Plants’.

I’m going to try to do this flower I found in my apartment community. It may or may not be a tiger lily.

So far I’ve just got the basic petals, filament, and stigma blocked out.

This is going to be a tough one, as I’m not used to doing organic shapes at all. Any feedback is always welcome, keeping in mind it’s a work in progress. Thanks for stopping by!

8 Likes

Pick a flower head and break it up, gently flatten a petal and photograph it and other parts to use as image textures. Leaf too!

Looks a good start.

3 Likes

It’s a good idea, but I would feel bad, seeing as it’s someone else’s garden. I’ll check to see if any have fallen on the ground.

2 Likes

Here’s an early render:

I slapped a procedural texture on there with a voronoi node to make the spots. I think it looks OK but not great. I may end up doing what @NP5 suggested and take a sample to make image textures from. Does anyone have a good idea for translucency? Maybe subsurface scattering?

5 Likes

After a couple more hours work:

Still a lot left to do but I don’t know how much more time I’ll have to do it, as I’m getting to the busy part of my work week.

6 Likes

Petal shaping, ridges etc look great. Currently looks washed out colours compared to the reference above.

5 Likes

Yeah you are right. I will have a look at the lighting and textures. Thanks

2 Likes

Almost done.

It’s at the point where I’d be OK if I had to submit it, but it still needs some detailing. I’m not totally happy with how the petals look. It’s really hard to capture the lightness of a real flower petal. I’m trying a Cycles render now but it’s going to take a while.

5 Likes

Wow, you did a great job with the shape! I haven’t made flowers before, and it looks beautiful to me. But maybe adding some more variation of color would be good. Orange, red and yellow blends instead of the constant orange.

3 Likes

That’s really nice, thank you! And that’s a good idea about color variation. If I have the time I’ll go in and try to mix it up a bit.

3 Likes

Here’s the Cycles render:

It’s very red. I think it’s due to subsurface scattering settings. For now, I like the Eevee render a bit better, but something about Cycles always looks more real. So if I can get the colors set up right in Cycles, then I’ll go for that.

4 Likes

It does appear to be a tiger lily, even though tigers have stripes. They should have called it a “leopard lily”.

3 Likes

Yes, but the coloration is very tiger-like. So what’s a good name for a cross between a leopard and a tiger? ‘Liger’ is already taken. ‘Teopard’? Not great :laughing:

2 Likes

Finished

This is where I’m going to leave it. It’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with it and I’m out of time. On to other things!

5 Likes

Respect!

2 Likes

Wow really nice work! Looks amazing. The leaves look great with that ripple effect. Well done!

4 Likes

I think this turned out great, nice work!

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning @Tyger2 I think you nailed it. :grinning:

4 Likes

Looks AWESOME and extremely realistic :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :star_struck:. Amazing job. LOVE it.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms