2022 Collab: Week 30 “Flowering plants" - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 30 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Flowering plants”.

• Any sort of flowering plant from wildflowers in a meadow to a specimen rose in a vase. Garden borders or public park flowerbeds. From common daisies to rare orchids.
  • Subject selected by the previous week’s 28 “Vehicle" winner: NP5

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-07-30T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Re-using old projects.

The minion I made somewhere in 2015. I didn’t have that much Blender knowledge. The model mesh was clean, but it had many tiny problems I couldn’t solve then or even understand how to solve. But after many years of tinkering with Blender, I’m confident to fix problems. Fixing old problems and using old projects is the thing I am currently learning.
I clean stuff, ordering/grouping things in collections. Apply fresh naming to objects, and materials.
I even try to move things into more descriptive project folders. But that is hard to do because I do use ‘Linked’ objects from other files. So other projects will break.
I only want to say, if you create a project spend some time on structuring, so you can easily re-use an old project in a new project. Make smart collection, name materials not that global but more specific. Not ‘glass’, but ‘glass eye minion’.

have fun.

10 Likes

W.I.P
Caesalpinia pulcherrima aka Red Hibiscus/ Pride of Barbados
Flower of my country Barbados

10 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ll have time to make a home for these two, if not, I guess this will have to do.

Top Plant: Titan Arum
Bottom Plant: Giant Padma

10 Likes

smelly …

2 Likes

What a good, challenging topic. Definitely outside of my comfort zone, but I will give it a shot. I’m going to try to make this flower a neighbor planted in my apartment complex:

I think it’s a tiger lily?

Gonna be tough but we’ll see how it goes.

6 Likes

Your plants look really nice! I didn’t appreciate them until I zoomed in. How did you do the detail on the top one. Did you sculpt it?

1 Like

I used proportional editing for the base shape, then I did the rest with displacement and bump.
Here is the shader setup for the top of the petal if you’re curious.

It’s a little hard to see all the numbers, but I think it’s good enough to see what I was doing.

5 Likes

My laptop can’t handle that many nodes.
Great achievement.

2 Likes

A node expert!
Fancy stuff there.

3 Likes

Indeed some gnarly nodework. I also appreciate how neatly grouped they are. No spaghetti here!

1 Like

Final Render

This was fun, and very challenging! Now let us never model flowers again. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Maybe adding, increasing slightly subsurface …? :wink:

2 Likes

Very nice, as FedPete says it could do with some translucency or subsurf or something though.

1 Like

Agreed. I tried to, but I couldn’t quite get it to look right. I don’t quite know what I’m doing with that particular property.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s hard to do. But “We’re all learning here”. :wink:

2 Likes

I´m learning how to create PBR textures and I used them for this scene.
I sculpted a lotus flower, this is my reference.

And my final render.

9 Likes

The scale is a bit off, and I don’t think that’s what a tropical forest floor looks like, but it’s better than a white background.

7 Likes

Final Render

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms