The Blender Collab: Week 31 “Aliens”

This is the Blender collaboration week 31 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn and get together.

Rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline is 2020-08-23T10:00:00Z

This week’s subject: “Aliens” .

11 Likes

I’m excited to see what all of you make.

1 Like

For modelling this weeks topic I also thought about some movies. But in relation that humans reach for the sky i asked myself: are humans also aliens in the galaxy?

Normally I use cyles but this time I use evee.
I followed the tutorial (https://youtu.be/VnFQdIRbd6U) to making this planet and add a new node line to fill the arias between the “cracks”. Then I used the cracks to simulate a water line.

After that I try to make a low poly Space Shuttle and hope the smooth shader do his work :grimacing:

To hit the Topic I played around with some bezier curves (https://youtu.be/cjT8c2uuDXg)
so what can we humans expect in space?

And thats my final result:

13 Likes

Looks awesome!! How did you make the stars in the sky? Particle system?

It’s probably a background image, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Very nice. How do you feel about Evee vs Cycles?

The Background is an image texture.

Also the planet is an image texture, but with a lot of nodes…
I only followed the tutorial and tweak a little bit, to understand the what the nodes do.

My own performance is the space shuttle with alien.

8 Likes

I currently think cycles is better for me, because I can better understand how it works.
To achieve the same thing with evee you have know the different evee settings.

In the bowling szene lesson the difference was explained quite well.

2 Likes

Love making space stuff so this was a fun one to make.

just love making low poly planets with their own color schemes and things, and of course, this time I had to make life forms for each one, pretty happy with their simple yet interesting designs. My only problem with it is it may be a bit too cluttered, originally the sun was much larger and definitely made the whole thing very squished, but even after shrinking it, I’m not sure if it’s still a bit too much, still very happy with the outcome nonetheless.

20 Likes

Nice work👍

The low-poly planet look is awesome!!!
I am not sure if it is really too cluttered… I think the focus is simply missing. Because all three planets are awesome and super sharp, my eye doesn’t really know what to focus on. And the two big planets seem really close.
Anyways, that’s just details. I really love the style soooo much! Very cool!
Would love to hear more about the way you went about it too! :smiley: Did you use displace, to get the cool planet surface?

4 Likes

Awesome! So many cool things in there. I especially like the different life forms. So cool. Nice job!

As a composition I think it needs a little balancing. The planets are a bit close together, as @Sblendid said, and there is some dead space on the right that is under-utilized.

I love it. This might be my favorite of your submissions so far.

2 Likes

It has the look of a paper-concept video game, very strong aesthetic.

“If Kurt Cobain Were An Alien”

This was fun, I got to try a few new things like using curves to affect the geometry and taper of another curve and playing with the physics of a hair particle system.

14 Likes

My entry… a different kind of “alien invasion” :wink: What do you guys think?

Sadly my gif conversion didn’t work so well… it’s a loop in blender, but here it isn’t :confused:
0001-0200 (1)

20 Likes

Oh, I love it! It"s so funny! For me - you won!

1 Like

I love the “I’m done with life” look of the spinning alien.

The swinging alien feels pretty static, it (he… she? Something?) needs to swing a little too for the animation to feel more natural, and the octo alien could use a little love too, I can clearly see where the animations stops and where it begins, try to make a more natural loop using the graph editor.

3 Likes

Nice loop! :clap:
Not sure if its a graph thing… could be the slight glitch could be a duplicate frame at the end? Try dropping the last frame and re-convert to see if that fixes it? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for all your feedback! The animations could definitely use some improvement. It actually was just a quick “last minute” addition ^^ But it took me reeeeallly long to render, so I’ll leave it like this for now. (I also discovered, that the pivot point of the chandelier is in the wrong place, because I forgot to move the origin).

I would love to spend some more time on learning, how to bring characters to life in the future though. But animating is really time consuming! Maybe one week we should do a collaboration instead of a challenge :wink:

2 Likes

I’m in. Hope you all enjoy this little setup.

20 Likes

Privacy & Terms