Pawn for my Electronic themed chess set

I wanted to push myself and create a custom chess set. So i will model a chess set based on electronic components.
Here is my first version of the pawn and board.

I first drew the dimensions roughly and paper to help me out in blender

15 Likes

Great idea, looking good so far!

1 Like

Interesting idea and solid approach!
It looks like chessboard pieces are not connected to each other, is it intentional?

1 Like

What a great idea. I’ve seen many variation, but this one inspires me.
Show your progress the coming days, weeks.

Can I invite you to vote for our weekly Blender collaboration project?

You can participate also. The winner of each week, selects a new subject.
After this vote we start again!

1 Like

@KStarr thanks :+1:

@dmfrodol thanks for your feedback. Yes it supposed to be seperated. Like it’s a microchip on a board. I can experiment showing the board a bit taller or the chips closer on how it looks :raised_hands:

@FedPete thanks :grinning: sure you can invite me. I would like to vote and participate to have some inspiration/more practice.
Yes i will try to finish 1 piece per day and share it in the forum. :+1:
=> Bishop is also ready Bishop for my Electronic themed chess set

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what electrical component will be the king of the board!

1 Like

@KStarr I am sure to share it in time. :slight_smile: I have designed all my pieces on paper. But they might change a bit depending on how to fit together on the board.

Well, if your condensator are too big to be pawns, they could make great Rook!

1 Like

@KStarr It could have indeed served as a rook :smiley: However i redesigned the pawns to be smaller and finished my other pieces. Including the King! You can see my final renders here.

looking great! I don’t know what everything is, but it look great, you should try to use bigger sample figure and the denoising option while rendering, that would make your render image less noizy. Great job!

@KStarr I will be looking in rerendering it. I am learning know about this sample feature, etc in the lamp section. But for sure i need more time for this. My PC was struggling and almost catching fire :grin: rendering the scene on a low sample size (128)

Yeah, I know, rendering is pretty hardcore on computer hardware, I do have so issues too sometimes, I guess this is why at some point texturing become so important, you can keep the poly count low and still give a high poly feel to a scene with proper textures.

Oh and by the way, your computer will probably not catch into fire if you use higher sample figures, but it will take way more time to render, but you’ll see that the noise will be gone that way and it worth the extra time spending

@KStarr :+1: Ok low poly and high texture is something worth looking into. Or atleast simplify my current models if possible to save the time/processing power.

I was kindof serious about the heat :sweat: My CPU still is under its treshold of a 100C but my case… This laptop was not meant for these kindof things :grimacing:

1 Like

Well, you are creating electronic components, make the bits to build a computer in there that has the capacity to render itself! :bulb: :rofl:

And i will design it in blender :laughing:

Really nice idea i like it!

Damn, you’re smart!

That’s beautiful! Love it great job!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms