2023 Collab: Week 50 “Thing of the year” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 50 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Thing of the year”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-12-16T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

6 Likes

Oh this is going to be a very interesting subject, that’s for sure. I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with. :grinning:

6 Likes

10 Likes

I wanted to do something positive. Unfortunately, to be honest, for me 2023, and 2022 for that matter, can only be summed up as a picture of horror.
I apologize, I don’t want to scare or hurt anyone. It’s just… Four air raid alarms today. (i am Ukrainian)

11 Likes

My “Thing of the Year” submission: The Elusive Dream of Superconductivity:

When studies began emerging out of South Korea in June of 2023 claiming that LK-99 acted as a room-temperature superconductor at temperatures of up to 400 K, the hype of such a breakthrough was catapulted to stratospheric heights – getting faster and faster and more intense, and then, as if in a flash, vanishing when further replication attempts disproved the notion.

And yet… the fact that we got so close to such a discovery – and the dreams it inspired – stood out to me in a way makes the entire spectacle my “Thing of the Year” for 2023.

Here’s hoping this Blender short film can do it justice :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

I had the same idea but hadn’t much time on my hands.
Also, my laptop has a disk problem, not very stable.

1 Like

Please select and enter a single frame for the contest!

Ah, sorry about that!.. I didn’t know it had to be a still frame (Perhaps future contests could include videos? :thinking:)

Hard to pick, but let’s go with this one:

2 Likes

You can send in videos!
But for the vote, I need a single frame!
The same for GIF’s.

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.
The new subject week 51 “Christmas spirit” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Thing of the Year” challenge may select a subject for next week 46 and win a badge.

@Kzanna congratulations on your winning entry “Thing of the Year”. I think the illustration speaks for itself. I like the lighting and simple texture, which makes it strong. Take care of yourself!

• CypherPoet - Nice animation, but it looks unnatural when the cube only moves up and down. I would also expect some random rotation of the cube.
  • Joey_Cuevas - I like this realistic-looking scene. Good camera position. Perhaps more structures in the vicinity of the tower.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, @FedPete, and congrats, @Kzanna!

For my first Blender Collab, it was fun getting as close to winning as I did :joy:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms