2023 Collab: Week 46 “Butterflies” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 46 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Butterflies”.

• Dragonflies, beetles, and other entomology are also suitable. And insect-themed robots. But I really want to see butterflies. Any kind.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 44 “Your game” winner Kzanna

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-11-18T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

6 Likes

Old project, not participating

12 Likes

The wings do not have a mesh? the body looks great, and the render is really incredibly detailed, thanks for sharing it.

3 Likes

No, it is a transparent .png image

2 Likes

Hard surface Dragonfly robot drone thingy …

Opening Blender, and it’s 4.0

10 Likes

Did this a while back. Best not be an entry LOL.

10 Likes

First try. It turns out that I have little idea of what my future butterfly should look like.

Version 2, improved animated

неделя 46 бабочка 320

for voting:

10 Likes

So much to do

But the main Blender configuration is in place: a dragonfly, compositor with vignette, and background HDRMI blur. Object decals in Inkscape.
Render times are huge (and yes Blender 4.0 Cycles is faster).
Many crashes …

Still to do:

• Composition
  • Materials / Textures
  • Adding more tiny details
  • Add foreground and black ground object (to show focus blur and enhance macro)

How are you guys doing …?

A new version, still having problems with texturing the wings.

The problem is that the background, an HDRI image, must blurred to get the out-of-focus effect.
But while rendering this background image is not yet blurred and rendered in the wing glass as an original, sharp image. This problem of trying something out and re-rendering takes a lot of time. There is so much to improve, but I’ve reached the deadline. See you tomorrow.

7 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

The new subject week 47 “Stylized fantasy buildings” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Butterfly” challenge may select a subject for next week 48 and win a badge.

2 Likes

Rainbow butterfly.
I like this idea!

4 Likes

@Kzanna congratulations on your winning butterfly entry. It is a very nice model and colorful.

• FedPete - I struggled a lot. The more you think about design, composition, and story rules (thoughts). The more difficult it gets. The main idea was an ‘insect-themed robot’, as part of the collab subject. Simple hard surface body with decals. Thin glass colorful wings, like soap bubbles.
    I failed to introduce effective camera focus depth.
    The flower is too big and too colorful, it draws all the attention.
    No lines, pointing or guiding the viewer to the main subject the body of the dragon.
    Technical problems with wing transparency and blurring.
    And of course, many creative ideas, consume available time.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

Congratulations, @Kzanna!

Lovely work on the colours and the overall feel :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms