2023 Collab: Week 36 “Favorite Childhood Toy” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 36 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Favorite Childhood Toy”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-09-09T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

I don’t remember what my favorite childhood toys were. But I do remember having a lot of fun playing with slinkies :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Summary

Started making a wooden staircase for it.

But then I opted for some sort of outdoor mediterranean staircase. Thinking that maybe less is more in this case. And maybe that it fit more with the gobo.

Compressed both sides a bit and added motion blur as per @FedPete’s great advice!

It was tricky trying to decide on shutter speed but hope this looks good!

I reduced the motion blur a bit and changed the color to see the edges between the springs on the ends better.

I think I’m happy with that.

Final Render

9 Likes

There were a lot of toys in my childhood, and I loved many of them. But some time ago, while sorting out children’s toys, a simple pyramid seemed the cutest to me.

6 Likes

Never played with it

… but a nice subject for hair, particles and geo-nodes.
Hadn’t much time. Couldn’t fix hair color.

5 Likes

You could add a second or third spring …
Add motion blur …

1 Like

Not an entry. Barely started. Very last min idea, not remotely enough time to make it. My childhood toy castle. Found images on line. Some people’s parents did not throw theirs out! Now on ebay, lol.
Another project to get round to completing, sigh.

5 Likes

Such a nice textile material. What would you call that?

“Fluffy Unicorn” …
Now I see it again, I think it’s too thick.

Used this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NM9oaijmLg

1 Like

In the text editor, press the cog-wheel.
Choose for ‘hide details’.

1 Like

Ohh I think fuzzy was the word I was looking for. Good link, will add

1 Like

Thanks!

Just realized that it might have been my render and not yours that you were refering too. So I lowered thickness and increased motion blur again. And I think it actaully looks better now

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

The new subject week 37 “Dungeons and Dragons” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Favorite Childhood Toy” challenge may select a subject for next week 48 and win a badge.

1 Like

This was my first idea. But I don’t have the time to do large Collab projects.
I have still a box full of parts. Part Temsi part Meccano.

6 Likes

AH yes I had Mecano, had forgotten that. With the modular basis of it that would have been a good subject.

2 Likes

@Gordon congratulations on your colorful action toy. The winning entry of the weekly Collab with the subject “Favorite Childhood Toy”. Very nice detail to the action blur!
The shadow makes it more mysterious.

• FedPete - The fluffy unicorn, could be more cute and fluffier?
  • Kzanna - I like the plastic sub-surface look. I think there is a bit of a mismatch in the perspective of the cups and floor.
1 Like

Privacy & Terms