2023 Collab: Week 30 “Living architecture” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 30 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Living architecture”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-07-29T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes
First WIP Image

Second WIP Image

Making progress, but still have some work to do. If you haven’t picked up on it I’m making the Talvanni mushroom-grown housing from Morrowind.

Final Render:

I wanted to add some characters walking about to the scene, I even made a model:

Dunmer base

But for whatever reason it doesn’t want to rig :sweat:
My laptop is reaching it’s limits so I think I’ll stop here for this one.

Scene Overview

15 Likes

Beautiful

3 Likes

I haven’t posted in a while, but I saw this topic and loved it, so here is my maybe final render of Baba Yagas House.

12 Likes

9 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.

The new subject week 31 “Voxel style” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Living Architecture” challenge may select a subject for next week 32 and win a badge.

4 Likes

I didn’t make it in time. Had too big plans again. I had this whole cinematic scene in my head with the snail going through some desolate landscape and leaving a trail of vegetation because snails have regenerative properties. And on top of the snail would be a little village of people dedicated to maintain the wellbeing of the snail and help it to revegetate the earth :sweat_smile:

But I ended up just putting together a little forest scene with my new low poly trees.

Tired of this project now. :laughing: Might do something with it some other time. The snail and shell is the highlight!

I now also have a procedural node system for making shells. So that’s cool!

I’ve got some new cool assets, learned a few things, and got a lot of practice. So it’s still a win for me. Summer holidays just begun and hoping to do and learn a lot more!

13 Likes

Did you make that snail and texture!?! :star_struck: it looks so good… Not enough architecture though.

2 Likes

Yeah I made the snail. But texture painted it using a stencil though. Not sure if that’s concidered cheating but it gets the job done. I tried to make my own procedural texture but ended up using that for the bump node instead because the stencil texture looked so much more realistic.

I agree. The idea was too add a bunch of little underground cottages and maybe little houses. I kinda started losing motivation at the end and didn’t really finish up great.

2 Likes

Always send in your entry, even if it isn’t ready yet.
Or, if not, use it in a next challenge!
Your project has potential :wink:

1 Like

I always keep pushing until the last minute, hoping that you are still sleeping. The next moment I look at the time, it’s already too late :rofl: But I’ll have to watch the time more closely next time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes, I’ll save this one for another time :wink:

3 Likes

@VVruba congratulations on winning this Collab with your beautifully crafted living architecture scene. Great use of procedural textures and natural-looking materials. It has many tiny details, giving a feel of size (barrels, swords, …). Making things (the scene) looks bigger.

• FedPete - Reusing old assets can be helpful to minimize project time. But still, you need to spend more time on the story. Details count! (… I spent 1 hour on this. Most time went into the tree trunk, which had many displacement problems).
  • Cows - great Baba Yagas idea! The most detail went into the nice modeled house. But it is cut off in the scene. I think a different camera position could help the scene. See Rule of thirds - Wikipedia

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

I don’t really see much displacement, to be honest, did you give up on it? I use adaptive sub-div in “experimental mode” if I want to do mesh displacement, it’s the best way but it is fairly resource intense.

I actually didn’t use any procedural textures in this one, I just used displacement maps from rock and bark textures as blend masks for the shroom bodies. For the mushroom caps I used free images I found online and made some rough displacement maps using Affinity Photo and Krita.

images

I did use random rotation in UV mapping to make sure the textures seem less repetitive but they’re all just regular textures.

Yes, I did, but the problem lies in the image texture (just a photo). Which contains black (shadow) values. And once a value is 0-black or 1-white. you can’t fiddle it. I know I could find another picture, but I didn’t have the energy to look for another one.

Well, they looked like Vonoroi’s texture to me. :wink:

Yes, it does look quite similar. The problem I have with Voronoi is that if you use color-ramp on it, it will crush the range in a perfectly circular fashion so it’s not great for adjustment. Depending on the scene size and how much of the pattern is visible Voronoi could be a better option, but it requires a lot more finessing.

1 Like

You can blur?

2 Likes

I’m on a terrible connection RN so the video won’t even load for me but I’ll check it out once I’m back home :sweat:

Privacy & Terms