2023 Collab: Week 29 “PlayStation 1 era” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 29 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “PlayStation 1 era”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-07-22T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

Love this topic! Here’s some stuff I have done like this before (not an entry)

Here’s me and my first car. Was for a collab topic last year I think.

I also took part in a game jam a couple of months ago and helped make a game with this graphical style.

7 Likes

The Sickly Wizard has a good YouTube series about how to achieve this effect, but the basics are like this:

1. Low render resolution (320 x 240)

2. No Anti aliasing (render tab > Film > Filter size = 0)

3. No Dithering (output tab > post processing > Dither = 0)

4. Low texture resolution (max 256 x 256)

5. Simplify Material

• Use Diffuse BSDF instead of principled)
    • Sharp materials (Materials tab > interpolation = closest)

And of course use low poly models. If you want to get more into the details of it, I definitely recommend that tutorial series I linked above.

4 Likes

WIP - Texture created with inkScape.

So simple at the start. Low poly, but a lot of problems. Eevee gets so slow with only 2K verts … so strange.

Trying to use vector blur in the compositor.
At first, I thought it wouldn’t work. Changed an option, but no visual result.
Trying again … nope. Then I saw that I was too fast in changing and trying out properties. My machine is too slow for this. I need to wait 5 to 10 seconds, after each change, before Blender has calculated the new bitmap results.

9 Likes

PlayStation 1 Nanosuit from Crysis

If I have the motivation I’ll try to put it in an actual scene.

Did a little posing, also removed some extra verts

Suit tris count: 518

Edit: Made a car and an environment. Any feedback welcome, especially before the challange ends :sweat_smile:
This render is at 25% (500x300px) upscaled 4x.

Scene Overview

Edit: So I’ve been working on this scene little by little improving a few details like the texture on the car, dudes pose, posterization etc. I now added more environment props to make the scene more rich and interesting. I’ve also adjusted the aspect ratio to 4:3 which helped me fit further background elements in the camera view as well as being considerably more fitting for that era of gaming.

Scene Overview 2

Progress Gif

ezgif-1-f822c84c7a

10 Likes

Also ready to implement in a game!
Great texture!

1 Like

PlayStation for me is associated with a single game. I don’t know if it’s possible to play Minecraft on PlayStation 1, I don’t know anything about consoles at all. I can only hope that I fit the theme.

8 Likes

Minecraft despite its looks is a fairly demanding game. A full version that we enjoy would not be possible (infinite words, complex terrain generation etc.)

That said a very cut-down version of Minecraft would probably work, something similar to what we had on mobile with limited world size and fewer blocks.

2 Likes

I guessed, but thanks for the confirmation. I will leave it to the @FedPete judgment whether my work is suitable for participation.
But it was interesting to do it.

2 Likes

It is, it’s basically what I described would be possible :sweat_smile:. I think you should take @Tyger2 's advice though and render at lower res, then upscale to get that old look. You can use the Pixel Art Scaler from lospec to upscale. That’s just my opinion though, yeah it will look crappier but that’s kind of the point. :+1:

1 Like

I have have no objections to different kind of entries. Again it’s all about the learning process and being thrown out of your comfort zone.
To produce something in seven days is always hard, even if you do like the subject and worked hard on it. So the effort counts.
Re-using old entries is a different thing. Re-use can be, but use it in a different context, or just enhanced in a different setting. If you build your own Blender asset library, and re-use assets in a new context. It’s part of working and learning with Blender.

That said, we’re always glad to see people participating. Having fun, that counts and staying motivated.

4 Likes

Hello everybody! Very cool theme of the week!
I made the Playstation console itself and added some elements from FFVII, which I consider one of the great games of this era and for the platform. Hope you like it!

13 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
The new subject week 30 “Living architecture” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Playstation 1 are” challenge may select a subject for next week 31 and win a badge.

2 Likes

@VVruba congratulations on winning this Collab on the Playstation 1 era. Personally, I must say, it brings back memories. I had a lot of playtime on this machine. And of course FF-VII. Never played Crysis, but many, many other games to play.
Your scene is beautifully crafted and the low poly, including a grainy look, fits very well that gameplay era.

• kidgokubr - A great promotional illustration of the Playstation One. And yes, FF-VII was one of the “must have” played games. I even replayed it a bit, trying to save the girl, in the middle of the game. I like the way you’ve presented this.
  • FedPete - What can I say? You’ve started strong but, you failed to finalize it. I miss the background, and the image is blended. Could do better (need more time).
  • Kzanna - Very familiar game. But not from the era of Playstation One. The illustration misses the graphical limits of those days. But it’s still a good game clone, colors, shapes and textures. Well done!

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

IIRC Crysis didn’t come on PS1, but on PS3 (couple of years after original release on PC) :smiley: . But if it would come on PS1 it would probably look somehow like on that render :+1:

And Crysis 1 still looks good, even by today's standards

2 Likes

Ai ai, didn’t know that.
But it gives me a new Blender collab idea: “You’r favorite computer game as a board game …”

2 Likes

Who wants to play PS-one wipeout … just play it in your browser

https://phoboslab.org/wipegame/

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms