2022 Collab: Week 6 “Viking(s)” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 6 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Viking”.

• Viking- Vikings is the modern name given to seafaring people primarily from Scandinavia, who from the late 8th to the late 11th centuries raided, pirated, traded, and settled throughout parts of Europe. They also voyaged as far as the Mediterranean, North Africa, the Middle East, and North America.
  • Subject selected by the previous week 4 “Chocolate” winner: ZachDude

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-02-12T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

WIP:
My favorite misfit viking :slight_smile:

This was blocked in Blender and moved to ZBrush for sculpting, but I plan to try and learn about Blender’s hair system more for the head and the fur coat.

I still feel the likeness is a bit off (though it may just be the lack of color), if anyone has suggestions?

11 Likes

I love HTTYD and that is an amazing Hiccup model, but yes, it does look a little off, not sure if it’s the perspective but the head looks a little round and Hiccup has a kinda slim face. The hair also looks off, especially for that version, young Hiccup has very flat hair but your design looks with far more volume, making him look more like an older Hiccup.

2 Likes

Nice

Mine not looking nearly as good but i will keep chipping away at it

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! :grin:
After staring at something for a few hours one begins to lose perspective so I was hoping for a fresh pair of eyes. The hair is only a placeholder, but you’re right it is contributing to the overall silhouette, and I’ll keep tweaking the face.

1 Like

Oo another character study! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Your own design?

My own design based on a number of references

2 Likes

Ah Noggin the Nog theme!

Difficult time wise to do anything I suspect.

I thought he had a mechanical leg … ?
like his dragon, missing a tail wing … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You are right, but that happens at the end of the first movie, and i’m making him before his accident :slight_smile:

1 Like

Early WIP

16 Likes

Looking Good

Checked out noggin the nog never knew about it before looks interesting

1 Like

Yes, childhood favorite. Makes up for all these mentions of modern stuff I have never heard of! :grin:

1 Like

Hair is done enough on character 1. At least character 2 is less hairy. lol

Clothing next…

15 Likes

Almost looks like it could be concept art for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla!
I am just about to try learning hair in blender, do you have any tutorial recommendations?

4 Likes

Most tutorials that I found seem to miss some settings or steps. Make sure you have your main hair settings (Emission) done before you start doing your Particle Edit. Children settings can be adjusted after the Particle Edit though, but use very low numbers or it looks super clumpy and fake. As an example, here is the Children settings for the main beard:

The main one I followed was Blender tutorial - How to Create Hair - YouTube
but the final Children adjustments I just had to work out on my own.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently, if you’re using MB-Labs add-on for the base mesh character, Finalize the character before adding the vertex groups for your hair systems. It won’t Finalize if you add vertex groups before hand.

4 Likes

Not nit picking but have to ask. Did you sculpt the head? Ears, nose, eyes look really good.

1 Like

No, I’m still horrible with anatomy and proportions. I use MB-Lab add-on, it gives a nice, customizable base mesh that is already rigged too. No preset poses, but the rig is done. Shape keys for facial expressions too. It’s a really robust, free add-on. Just had to edit one line of python code so it works with 3.0.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms