2022 Collab: Week 25 “Animals" - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 25 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Animals”.

• Not one, but more “Animals”.
  • Subject selected by the previous week 23 “Album cover" winner: Tyger2

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-06-25T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Animals: An experiment in various methods.

This was a frustrating one for me, and I’m the one who chose the topic :sweat_smile:. I was just trying to get something out quickly, but I wasn’t really happy with any of the results. What do you guys do when you want to make something, but you’re just not feeling it?

11 Likes

I use Grant’s method, before Grant created the tutorial. I used an online tutorial back then.

Point is, never do things from memory.
Use references.
Start with block modeling.

Your models are still a good starting point to work on. But it’s method determines the next steps. Like the elephant. It need extra work to make it low poly, so a next step could be sculpting, while the turtle and wolf, can be sculpt or poly modeling.

2 Likes

13 Likes

It doesn’t say it needs to be two different animals.

I just finished up the ‘fuzzy heads’ course, so I figured why not turn one badger into two.

Blender was quite cross with me for a while, but I think we made up. The last dozen renders didn’t crash once.

9 Likes

It is recommended to do that unit in the winter, so you can use the extra heat generated by the rendering process to warm your home. :laughing:

6 Likes

Maybe I could roast some marshmallows too.

1 Like

I said I would join, so here is me joining:

I only had the one Loris until I read the rules. Then I copied him, cut out his bottom half, and recoloured him.

11 Likes

At that point you might want a new computer…:open_mouth:

There are two lemurs

8 Likes

I finally got some time for the weekly challenge! It’s an old project from the beginner course. I added the raven and tweaked the environment a bit. My asset library is quite small, so I have to use background pictures. Hopefully, I’ll expand it soon so I can make 3D backgrounds. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Collection of animals Mostly unfinished really. No time to make an environment!

6 Likes

I remember this one. Except now there is a crow (or raven?)! Who will eat who I wonder?

You could at least put a bus stop in the middle, or caravan stop sign, it would give reason for their loafing about. Otherwise their un"shrewed" activities might waste away one of 9 lives. But that might be too much of a hump to get over, especially at the tail end, or rather past, these weekly challenge.

@DANB1- I like your bird and worm. While simple, it has character. While the early bird get the worm, it seems that the bird is more annoyed about the worm simply being in his hole- “Now ya just get out of that hole there son, and crawl into my mouth, ya hear? No, no complaints this time, it is a thing that must just be done!”

Question to @FedPete- I assume that the rules assume that when “we start to vote” we don’t vote for our own projects… because there could potentially be a mighty large stalemate should people have a particular fondness for their projects… :thinking:

4 Likes

How does the voting actually work? I looked main collab post and done some searching but I don’t see any instructions. Is there a separate thread for just the votes?

1 Like

IIRC, they will set up the voting in this thread. You’ll see a separate post announcing it’s time to vote, with each of the entries listed with the creators names. Then you choose which one you want, and it will then show how many votes there are (as a percentage of how many votes have been cast).

4 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 26 “Carnival” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Album cover” challenge may select a subject for week 27.

6 Likes

Hi, there are instructions (somewhere in 2017). At the time, the process that made it to the winner was the next challenge and voting in the forum. But continuity was problematic. So I and NP5 decided to give it more structure. Better promotion on the forums. We even have our own “Blender Collab” channel.
Every week a winner provides a new challenge, I discuss the new topic with the winner if the topic is similar to previous challenges or is too difficult for a beginning student. I create the vote and new challenge threads.

If you want to create your own poll, open a new thread and select the gear icon.
But do that in one of the other channels (show, ask, talk).
Pete

4 Likes

Wow, tehre are quite some awesome works here! I am really sorry now that I missed on participating on this one, but it is nice to see such cool works from all of you guys using different approaches and styles :grinning:

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms