2022 Collab: Week 16 “1,000 tris" - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 16 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “1,000 tris” - Low Poly.

• Cathy_N, winner of week 15 Myths & Legends: “I want to choose something different this time. Rather than limiting the theme, I’d like to limit the polycount. The subject is “1,000 tris”. The goal is to make one object as detailed as possible within the limit of 1,000 triangles. You may set up the scene as you wish. Background objects do not count towards the tris limit.”

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-04-23T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Love the idea! Looking forward to take part, since i got in the habit of mainly using quads over the last weeks. Sooooo, who does the counting? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It’s more or less a guideline, but you can show a screen dump with Blender stats.

I’ve yet no clue what to construct. Choosing a subject is difficult.

1 Like

Hm… any other constraints? Like can I make high poly than bake 99.9% of geometry down to low poly? Or use some more texturing techniques to make very low poly object look high poly. I.e., this one I made recently is 958 tris:

10 Likes

Interesting! A little below 1000 tris was about what Quake III Arena character models had back in the day if I recall correctly:

Normal maps weren’t a thing at the time, though. Nowadays you can do a lot more with textures… yes, bOBaN beat me to it. Ultra textures for Quake III were 256x256 pixels, too.

I guess wireframe renders are necessary this time around?

5 Likes

I’m wondering if baking is allowed as well :thinking:

2 Likes

With baking and control over how we place camera the 1k triangles is not really a limitation IMO…

3 Likes

… … … … … … … … sorry…

Is that last column making someone mad because it isn’t even? Pure evil…

13 Likes

Be creative! High - baking - low, it is all Blender knowledge.
But keep time in mind! Working for days on high poly, then to low-poly, uv-map, paint … show us what you can do :wink:

4 Likes

That’s awesome interpretation of the subject :smiley: If that’s your submission - you have my vote sir! :grin:

2 Likes

:thinking: so I will interpret the challenge basically as a ‘make a game ready asset’. Still need to find some fun subject to work on (for me having it broadly defined is more difficult than constrained one).

2 Likes

Wanted to up my low poly game. This was indeed a challenge, but fun nonetheless :slight_smile:

12 Likes

You nailed it!

Please accept my Bows

3 Likes

The following was accomplished with just 2 triangles ( by Inigo Quilez):

Theoretically anything is possible using just a quad and a ridiculously complex shader.
Also hopefully a good illustration for the principle of the illusion of detail, which IMO is more valuable than actual detail.
Good luck all.

4 Likes

Don’t forget it’s all about TRi’s, NOT FACES!

Just so i can measure my count correctly and work only with tris - does that simply mean face count must be identical to tri count? And do i understand correctly, that blender always refers to 1 quad/face as 2 tri, even if there isn´t a diagonal connection between vertices which would make 1 quad to 2 tris?

2 Likes

Here’s my understanding of it:
Blender considers anything with at least three connecting points to be a face. This could be a triangle, quad, or n-gon. So unless you have triangulated your mesh, the face count wouldn’t be identical to the triangle count.
But looking at the triangle count, Blender will have taken all the faces and turned them into triangles for it’s calculation. So yeah for quads it would refer to each one as two triangles.
Bottom line is that to determine the number of triangles, just look at the triangle count. The stats can be found here:

4 Likes

Just don’t look at stats in the edit mode… as you will get 12 tris for this:

8 Likes

To make it clear for you all, use the Triangulate modifier.
The standard cube will be a set of 12 faces.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms