2022 Collab: Week 12 “idioms" - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 12 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “idioms”.

• WIKI: An idiom is a phrase or expression that typically presents a figurative, non-literal meaning attached to the phrase; but some phrases become figurative idioms while retaining the literal meaning of the phrase. Categorized as formulaic language, an idiom’s figurative meaning is different from the literal meaning.
    Idioms occur frequently in all languages; in English alone there are an estimated twenty-five thousand idiomatic expressions.
    Note from sezpul: Such as colloquial sayings like “here today gone tomorrow” or “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” or “more than one way to skin a cat” or “just in the nick of time”.

• Subject selected by the previous week 10 "Peace” winner: sezpul

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-03-26T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Should I do autoportret on this entry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know that I’m beating on a dead horse here :eyes:, but this challenge will look really different depending on your country/language. This is going to be fun to watch.

4 Likes

Got Tissue working well there, just might be better less open for a basket?

I have a question. The examples mentioned in the post are not euphemisms, they are idioms. They are 2 completely different things. Does that mean that despite the subject being “Euphemisms” it actually includes all sort of phrases/words that have a play on the meaning? :confused:

2 Likes

Got me thinking there.
So I have this Euphemism
Referring to person that had more than one romantic relationship or have been mastering his craft with many masters. Than we say. “He tried bread from more than just one oven”
Is that Euphemism or Idiom. Or one could be falling under the others category? I which case. Which one is which?

I’d say this is a euphemism as it would be rude to say “oh that lad is a total womanizer!”. Using that phrase instead would be less bold and it would be taken with humour, which is exactly what euphemisms are for as far as I understand. I’m no expert myself, and that’s exactly why I posted the question. I might as well be mistaken. I’m sure I’m just overthinking that topic.

I agree with @Cathy_N about the examples on the topic, none are euphemism examples.

@FedPete and @sezpul could you please clarify this for us?

2 Likes

I must admit I thought tough subject. lol. Definition is likely to be a bit grey not least for all the non native English speakers, who may have euphemisms from their language that are not the same as in others.

2 Likes

I’m in agreement about the term not being what I meant. To be fair, that was my misunderstanding of “euphemisms”. I’m not entirely sure of what the technical term would be. Essentially I gave a euphemism would be more like “seeing a man about a horse” or “doing the horizontal shuffle” maybe but what I was trying to convey was making art based on an old saying like the examples provided.

“Idiom” or “phrase” might be a better term

I want to see stuff like raining cats and dogs or water under a bridge, etc.

I was going to do “Drunk as a Lord”

5 Likes

Mmm… Well, I have two ideas now, one for an idiom one for an euphemism, maybe I’ll do both since I can recycle things for the euphemism idea. This week is gonna be hilarious either way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! You’re definitely talking about idioms, figurative expressions and sayings.

As far as I understand euphemisms are only used to soften insensitive/ inappropriate/ offensive words (e.g. “he passed away” instead of “he died”). It’s a lot easier to find an interesting idea if the subject is not exclusive to euphemisms… :grin:

3 Likes

agreed, once I looked into it more and saw examples of euphemisms I was like :confused: Would be very boring.

3 Likes

I will rename the subject to “idioms”.

But if you already have a good euphemism, just continue.

Pete.

6 Likes

I’ve gone a wee tad over the top on time expenditures for my past couple entries, so I decided to keep it fairly fun and simple this go around. Still may do some touch ups, but this is the piece I’m working on - some silly fun.

On ‘Top’ of the World~!

relittopoftheworld

Edit: Clarified idiom of choice

8 Likes

Nice! Is this “I feel like i´m going in circles!”? Or is the world spinning too fast?

1 Like

It’s on ‘top’ of the world. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Something I quickly threw together: “On Thin Ice”:

Ground material made in Substance Designer and boots reused from the Week 6 Viking challenge. :slight_smile: I would like to add some ice cracking underneath the boot itself, but I’m not sure quite how yet…

14 Likes

Worked a while on this, not sure if it fits the theme :man_facepalming:. Feedback most appreciated.

14 Likes

Apple of my eye.

My scene represents both literal words and figurative meaning of the phrase. There’s an eyeball with an actual apple. The eye is cherishing it, keeping it safe as the apple of its eye!

17 Likes

Privacy & Terms