2021 Collab: Week 49 “Set sail” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 49 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Set sail”.

• Set sail - Anything on a sea theme from port taverns to distant shores
  • Subject selected by: Peter_Khromov

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2021-12-11T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

Don’t forget the special Christmas challenge!

4 Likes

My entry this week.
18th century naval cannon.
For explosion reference I used video from Smarter everyday Dustin.

It isn’t perfectly illustrated I just took three stages and played with them.
Rope I made with 4 circles and screw and curve modifier. And a hint of hair particles.
Rest just simple modelling.
Reference for cannon and trolley

Ocean is plane + ocean modifier that I have no clue how to use but it came out ok.
Hope you like it.
1000 samples, 4K res, 50min render in cycles.

7 Likes

Brilliant! Great fire smoke reproduction. Good ‘hairy’ rope.
The cannon is too clean and raw metal. We can excuse the dangerous working conditions on the ship with no Bulwark to stop things and sailors toppling overboard! Would be in the way of a clear view!

3 Likes

I tried for cannon to look imperfect cast and used mixed noise texture with noise mask etc. . I guess my perception is still to comfy with fresh look. For the rest Youre 100% there. I didnt introduce fences on wall as it originally was to be fort wall defences. As it was cannon based theme for me, I dropped everything else and kept it open. Thought better than just display on black background I quickly made ship like environment :slightly_smiling_face:
I mean to keep it real I’d have to add struggling crew, other cannons and rest of the action. But common. Weekend is here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Changing seems to be the thing.
Ive listened to sage advise and focused on things I’ve spend time on. Thank you @NP5 .
Final render done in cycles x. It is different to older version. It picks up subsurface scatter more. Much more. And is much faster for sure, 15min for this at 1000samples :). I don’t like the change but Blender 3.0 gonna be my new platform.

3 Likes

Not to be nitpicking, but action is re-action.
By blasting the ball out, the cannon is going backwards.
The rope is then stretched and used to pull the cannon towards the ship side.

3 Likes

I wanted to spend 1 hour, max two hours on this challenge (I’ve had little time these months).
The scene has 40K verts (not that much). But is a bit complex material design texture. And some subdivisions. But it led to a system crash due to low machine memory.

My concept was simple enough. 10 vertices houses with just bitmaps, creating a seashore village.
The same for sailing ships. But at the current stage, I’ve had problems enough getting the project done in the allotted time box.

WIP

Reached the end of my hardware capacity.

I cannot manipulate the particles trees without a chance of crashing Blender. Too slow, too much memory.

5 Likes

True. But when I gave it movement it lost all details.
Lets just say that reaction hasnt have time to occure yet.

3 Likes

I don’t mean blurring, but the cannon should pull the ropes tight (And I think the ropes are too thick).

It takes time for cannon to pull on the ropes. It isnt instant. This one was all the way to the edge before shot was fired and is still rolling. Shot moves a lot faster as it a lot lighter. If you look at slow motion it shows that shot travels quite a distance before cannon starts to roll back.
As for the lines. Well.
Screenshot_20211211-120855_Google Go

2 Likes

Great image, really brings out the blast.

Rewatching some of that live firing video you posted with the first image I think you just about get away with no recoil rope tightening. It is a fractional moment in time, it certainly would not have had time to get to the limit of the ropes, making them taught. But well spotted and thought of FedPete!

Now over Christmas work on a deck length of cannon with the fire rippling along the line each in a slightly different stage of having fired! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Now if you could animate the firing smoke you would only need to do it once and use a different frame for each cannon.

It would be fun. But render time. It would take till christmass :sweat_smile:
Just done quick math.
60hrs of rendering for 10sec firing sequence :woozy_face:

6 Likes

Vote for a “Set sail”

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the next subject, week 50 " Organic has already started. The winner of this week’s “Set sail” challenge may select a subject for week 51.

@Mateusz , congratulations on your “Set sail” winning entry. It’s a magnificent explosive entry.excellent smoke and fire implementation. Great achievement.

• Willrun - I like your scene. a good implementation of the “Set sail” subject. A pity of the low poly version.
  • FedPete - I miss some sailing ships and the more random trees.
1 Like

Privacy & Terms