2021 Collab: Week 20 “Fishtank” - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 20 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Fishtank”.

• Fishtank - An aquarium (plural: aquariums or aquaria) is a vivarium of any size having at least one transparent side in which aquatic plants or animals are kept and displayed. Fishkeepers use aquaria to keep fish, invertebrates, amphibians, aquatic reptiles, such as turtles, and aquatic plants.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.

You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject.

Deadline: 2021-05-22T21:55:00Z

2 Likes

Just releasing some ideas …
Based on old projects.

Glass material is difficult enough, think ahead, plan and just do it.
If you made a pyramid, add to the bowl …
Keep fish or other animals low poly … add smoothing and subdivision
Add details like seaweed, pirate ship, crate, diver …
It’s not about realism or to be precise. It just shows the skills you’ve learned so far.

7 Likes

Took me a while to think of something but I am looking forward to participating in this one as well!
Nice topic!

1 Like

This took way longer than I was planning to spend on it, but here we go - Fish tank!
(I had to do the obvious before someone else did) :stuck_out_tongue:
This is based on a photo I’ve had as my wallpaper for a while.

First time using nodes to create materials. Also first time making glass!

Word to the wise; Don’t mess with Captain Gills!

13 Likes

:laughing: I had the same brain wave … a great entry!

1 Like

Haha. Thank you! I had a feeling I wouldn’t be the only one with this idea. I look forward to seeing yours!

Based on some war posters.

12 Likes

I had a bit more time to put in this week and I have landed on this. I reused my palm tree from last week with a new plastic shader. I also reused some rocks I had laying around, and a procedural scale texture that I copied from a youtube video a while back. The “log” was done with this cool trick with modifiers that I have been wanting to try out.

For me, once again, the hardest part was the lighting. I put more time into this composition, which meant more agonizing, and worrying about reflections didn’t help. A big breakthrough was figuring out how to turn down reflections in cycles. My main goal was just to get a clear image with a lot of color. I might take another look at this before the deadline so any feedback is very welcome and appreciated!

edit: Added bubbles :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Very nice! The water and bowl turned out really nicely as well.
I had lots of trouble getting the distortion and reflections of the glass bowl to not be overwhelming.
If you don’t mind me asking, is the gravel made with an array of some sort?
I tried to use one for my submission but ended up just copy/pasting a hundred times :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nice fish bowl and accessories for the fish to play with!

I think a background of something even simple would add to the whole scene with distortions and reflections.

3 Likes

It’s a particle system. I copied the base of the bowl several times and stacked them on top of each other, and rendered the particles from a collection of rocks.

1 Like

I might give that a try, although I wanted to go for a clean look to highlight the details inside the bowl. At one point I lit it with an hdri while the background was completely solid, and the reflections of that and the lights were bothering me so much that I just switched it to a procedural sky and turned off the glossy factor of the lights. Maybe with something solid to sit on like a table the reflections could look more natural. It’s tricky with such a reflective surface, I’m excited to see how other people work with it.

1 Like

…there’s a sentence I never thought I’d read. :poop:

1 Like

OMG! Why?!?! :rofl:

1 Like

Hi. I have used this opportunity to have a first go at particle system. Was staying away from it till now. Trying to learn one thing at the time and that seamed intimidating. And I was right. Its just another bomb full of knowledge to know. But I’ve managed to kinda work out how to use it for object placing. Can’t control it as I’d like but it sort of works in this instance. Ive made all my moss and grassy weed using just that. Moss texture and wood on the well… wood are my home made procedural textures (triple noise texture) one for wood effect, one for moss and one as mask to mix them both. Fish I have modelled and than UV placed over 4K picture of the fish. Same trick on the leaf of the plants. Tank is Glass BSDF with IoR 1.517 and water also Glass with IoR 1.33 and Absorption Volume with hint of blue at small value. Changes little but it gives sense of it being denser, I think. I wish to work on it a little bit more. Maybe some extra fish and background, maybe some stand underneath. But daut I will have much time rest of this week So I hope it will please your eye as it is. Enjoy

By the way. Love your Ideas this week. Very whimsical :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Very good, nice surface reflection of the fish and tank items.
Nice moss and plants.

2 Likes

I’ve done exactly the same thing, but haven’t render it yet. The sand on the bottom looks black as yours for some weird reason.

2 Likes

Here’s my atempt. I’ve used this oportunity to play with the liquid physics system, even though the water is a rectangle and you can’t tell. The issue I have is with the glass being reflective where it should be transparent, I couldn’t work it out to act more natural, but I had to settle for this. I’m not fully happy with the final result, but as the saying goes “Rome wasn’t invaded in one day”. There’s a peble path on the bottom, but it’s not visible at all :sweat_smile: whoops! There’s plenty more to improve, I’m sure. Also it seems that one seagrass hair has made it out of the tank. :joy:

10 Likes

What render engine did you use?
It looks a bit like eevee. If so Im not sure if ther is the way of making water see trough look convincing. If its a Cycles few thing could be the factor of the foggy look. Either roughness or transmission roughness is up even by a margin it would do it. Another thing is when you used rectangle as a water try and scale it up a bit so perimeter of the water slightly gets inside the walls of the tank. Its to do with rays being trapped between both of materials. I hope when you say where glass should be transparent and is reflective you dont mean left side being reflective like a mirror. Because that is exactly what happens in real ones :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms