WoW Style Orc With Alphas

I finally applied alphas and changed and added some details. I completely redid the muscle structure of the legs. Feet were neglected since he will wear boots…
Face count is extremely high now but PC keeps working(:
I hope this much detail pays off when it comes to baking!?

36 Likes

It’s just… Wow! Cool model!
Wanna find some free time to do something like Your Project :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looking fantastic. It should all bake, possibly easier than some of the extremely ‘crusty’ Orcs more like the course one. Good retopo is key. The armpits might have problems but are pretty much out of sight.

2 Likes

Thank you Windik :grinning:
Yes it really takes time. For me its often one detail a day… that’s why I don’t get on with the course. But I dont want to rush it

3 Likes

Thanks a lot NP5 thats nice to hear!
I’m really looking forward to see how all this stuff works…

1 Like

This is so cool.
Asymmetry in the face, chest line, abs, etc. Attention paid to smaller things like the toenails and finger positions. Stylized but the anatomical structure is still pretty darn good to my admittedly inexperienced eyes. I think the hamstrings are one of the only things that aren’t quite right as the separation between the two main muscles is more centered on a human.
So many nice surface level detail once the mid-level was polished. Wrinkles, bumps, scars, the cartilage of the ears, I love it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m just curious, what has been your sculpting experience up until this point? Have you studied anatomy before and lastly, what bodybuilders are you looking at for reference? :laughing:

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words ZachDude! It was fun to read your comment!

You are right the hamstrings are a bit off. To be honest, I already thought about changing them, however, the Satorius (I had to look up the name) on the front leg next to the quad is actually also a bit too far in, which I intentionally kept that way because I liked the style… and maybe I was too lazy to change it… but I thought what the heck, it’s an orc, not a man :man_shrugging:t4:… But now that you have spotted it maybe I’ll change it after all :laughing:

I started a Blender Studio training on how to create a stylized character and had a lot of fun sculpting the face, but I dropped out when the model was in a lets say advanced blockout stage, because I came across the stylized character bust playlist on Grant Abbitts Youtube channel. While doing the bust I found Gamedev and thought lets learn this stuff from scratch. So I dont have much sculpting experience.

I have an art background though. I used to draw a lot, including fighter dudes with muscles and for that I referenced bodybuilders. Plus I trained like crazy myself and checked out my progress in the mirror :sweat_smile: so all and all that would be my study of anatomy :laughing: But this was like ten years ago.

The bodybuilders I checked for reference where many :rofl: :rofl: but mostly good old Ronnie for the abs, the back and the quats… Also Kai Greene for obvious reasons :rofl: also Cutler, Heath, Wolf and some more… :+1:t4:

3 Likes

It certainly feels like you have more sculpting experience than you do, maybe you’ve got a gift for it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I bet the art background and working out helped quite a bit too, and sounds like you got the good 'ol guys for reference, except no Arnold for symmetry? :laughing:

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Oh yes, I referenced Arnold for chest, forgot to mention. So basically the good ol guys, you name it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This is pretty amazing. I thought I am quite happy with my orc until i saw yours.
Thats extremely nice for starting out. Can you estimate how many hours this took?

1 Like

Hi Hugison, Thank you!
To be honest, I can’t even tell you how many hours this took. I don’t think it would make much sense though, because I didn’t take the straight path. I’ve tried a lot, I remade some parts completely in the process… I could have saved a lot of time with a more suitable blockout, but I didn’t know exactly where I was going. Besides, I really took my time. So I really have no clue about the hours but there is definitely a lot of work in it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that it’s hard to count the hours on a project. I have the feeling that it’s not only skill that makes a difference in the final model but also how much time you spend on it.
You definitely inspired me to go back a few steps and work more on my model before going to the alpha brushes. I changed the proportions and am currently working on more details. Makes a huge difference. So thanks a lot for sharing your work.

4 Likes

Thats nice to hear man. I definitely agree, investing time makes a huge difference!

1 Like

I know this is a late reply but…If this was a contest you would have won. great job!

2 Likes

Hi there! Fantastic model!
If You don’t mind, I would save these screenshots and use them myslef as one more reference for creating muscular guys and monsters :wink: I hope to reach such a level myself one day!
Once again, gread job!

1 Like

Beautiful!!

1 Like

Did you do some of the sculpting in ZBrush?

Holy hell… great job!

Hi, no it was all done in blender

Awesome job dude!

How was the retopology – did you do it manually?

Privacy & Terms