Why not use "apply root motion" to the character animation?

Curious as to why you couldn’t tick the box in the animator to apply root motion instead of modifying the animation directly?

We did try that but as the animations and the rig differ and arent set up for root motion the character did some interesting yoga poses in every method we tried.
If you find a method that works for you to avoid having to delete those frames in the animation please do let us know :slight_smile:

Hey, @dylanb, the issue is not with Root motion in the animator. In the lecture, we deleted the FBX file and only kept the animation file from it. For some weird reason, the animation doesn’t contain the toggles for “Bake transform position.” If we kept the FBX, we could have changed some of the import settings (ex: you can add animation curves ONLY from the FBX file, not from the animation file only)

Here is an example of what I’m talking about - in these screenshots, I toggle the “bake transform position” for XZ, and you will see the character “move” outside the center

1 Like

This is why my preference is to keep the animation within the .fbx file and do all adjustments including adding events and determining root motion within the import dialogue.

@Nathan_Farrer Might be something to remember although i thought we did try this and we had some issues.

Thanks @mihaivladan for your detailed reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms