Where are you from? What's your experience?

Hello!

I’m a student in the U.S planning to go into a career as a game designer. I plan to be done with a calculus class by next year. I thought it would be a good idea to take some courses related to game design prior, so that I know it’s what I want to do and so I have prior knowledge.

Hey there, I’m Safak from Toronto, ON.

I recently decided to dive into learning programming to see if it’s possible for me to start a new career here. And quickly I figured it would be really beneficial for me to recapture my old math skills. So I’m here :slight_smile:

Hi! Russ from Montana, here.

Wanted to brush up on some math and am hoping to learn enough to keep up with future coding courses, here. Have a CS minor under my belt, but want to further that knowledge.

Hi,

My names Mark I am from Australia but living in Scotland. I am doing this course to help me better understand math because I want to start a career in the gaming industry.

Hello!

My name is David and I am from Vienna, Austria. I attending this course because I hope to understand maths better in order to create more interesting games.

Hi, I’m Antoine from Belgium.

I’m working full time as a web developer and a create games in my spare time.
I was not in extensive math in school so I try to catch up with courses like this one.

Per the assignment, I read the linked Wikipedia article on multiplication and came up with two questions:

• For programming languages, are there any benefits to using infix notation versus Polish notation?
  • If multiplication can be thought of as the repeated addition of n, why can you use this term for practices that are most decidedly NOT that, like the multiplication of matrices or fractions?

Hi, I’m Winnie; I currently live in Los Angeles, California. Math-wise, my experience is limited to secondary school classes, a couple of books, and the occasional Youtube video. Programming-wise, I have a tiny bit more experience; I’ve been working as a web developer for the past 3-4 years now. Gaming-wise, I probably would not be considered a gamer nowadays, but I grew up logging a lot of time on the games I had and loved. My favorite things to play as a kid were interactive fiction games on the web, and those were in fact the first games I ever wrote. In short, zombie games are too scary for me, but I will play the crap out of something like Ace Attorney or Professor Layton.

Also, as an aside, I think Scribblenauts is a programming marvel, and I wish I could understand object-oriented programming on the level that those guys do.

Welcome to the course @microbe14!
These are both great questions.

I’m not 100% sure of the first one but I don’t think there are many specific benefits to using infix notation over Polish notation when it comes to programming, since your compiler will eventually break everything down to machine code anyway.
I’ve not really used Polish notation much (I pretty much forgot it existed until you mentioned it) and that’s probably the biggest benefit I can think of as to why most “human readable” programming language use infix notation - If you want people to hit the ground running, it makes sense to use the same algebra rules that people are already familiar with when you designing your programming language.

As for your second question, basic multiplication really is just repeated addition.
When multiplying fractions, you can think of them in one of two ways - a multiplication of decimals(e.g. 0.25 * 0.5) or a multiplication of fractions (e.g. (1/4) * (1/2)).
In these cases, using the fractional representation would be a lot slower than using the decimal representation, since it involves an initial division step to convert them into floating point numbers that the compiler understands. Therefore it’s worth avoiding fractions where possible and using the decimal representation instead.

When it comes to multiplying matrices, the process (whilst complicated) can still be broken down to use only simple addition.
If you think about how to resolve each element in a matrix multiplication, it’s really just repeated applications of the vector dot product. The dot product in turn is just a bunch of multiplication and addition, and that multiplication can be broken down again to just pure addition.
So when you get right down to the basic operation, the whole thing is just an incredibly laborious sum of addition.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

P.S. Scribblenauts was a great game!

Hi,

I’m MrUks and am taking this course to be able to do gamedevelopment with unity. It’s been a long time since I’ve studied coding and I actually know the majority of the maths for this, but wanted a refresher to see if I forgot something over the years before I start with the heavier courses

Hey,
my name is Mariusz I’m from Poland. I want to become an indie game developer. My last time doing some serious math was at high school (like 12 years ago O.O). Started a University Degree in computer science and I see how much of old practice I’ve lost that’s why this is the first course I want to complete before diving in into Unity.
Hope we’ll have some great time doing this :smiley:

Hello everyone!
I’m Toon. Came from SEA Thailand.
I used to work on coding experience in UWP C#. Although it’s more of a private project.
I’m here to improve myself and looking forward to a game development with Unity!

Yo, name is CK, from South Africa, basic high school math and some algebra from software dev college.
oh and 0 xp in Game Dev.

Sup, I’m Martin from Bulgaria, work as dev, gamedev is a hobby, looking forward to expanding it into something more.

Hi, my name is Vinícius. I’m from Brazil. I’m 11 years old. I’m doing this course in order to learn making games.

Howdy, howdy, howdy, howdy

I’m Daryle from Ontario, Canada. I’m 39 years old. For some reason when I was in high school they let us stop taking math in grade ten which was great because I stopped learning it in grade 7 and just kind of stumbled through until I could stop. Aside from the basic math we all do every day I don’t mess with the stuff. I often find myself wondering if it’s all just a joke you guys are playing on me and math isn’t really real. But I’m here to find out the truth of it and hopefully make better games.

1 Like

Hey, my name’s Galen.

I’m taking this course from Washington Heights in New York City. I was working as an actor before March 2020, but I’ve been learning Unity for the past couple years with the help of Ben, Rick and the others on this site. I have my first interview for a Unity Engineer position tomorrow morning so I’m somewhat nervous at the moment.

I have some basic algebra under my belt from college but I’d like to learn more advanced concepts so I can be a better programmer. Thank you Ben and Gary for a fantastic course so far!

1 Like

Hiya

My name is Jan from Dundee, Scotland. I am a sound designer who has found a passion in C# and C++ programming last year. Now, I am looking to upgrade my knowledge in Maths and Physics in order to become an Audio Programmer.

Hey everyone,

Cale Curry here. I’m a level designer with a couple of months of industry experience, and I also have a published game on Steam in addition to projects that I worked on while completing my Master’s in May of 2020. I’m aiming to strengthen my overall knowledge and skills in math so I can use it to develop a stronger portfolio and help land my first job in the game industry. Nice meeting you all!

Hi everyone,

Roland from Bavaria, Germany here. I studied computer science quite a while ago and I´m here to get back to developing stuff myself and not only requirementsengineering and designing architecture of systems which is what I´m doing for a living. So, what better to do than developing games? I´m appealed by C++ which I´m currently getting up to speed with. On the other hand I´m getting my hands dirty with 3d design in blender.
What else to say, other than nice to meet you all!

Hello, Josh from Minnesota here.

I’ve been doing game development on the side for three years, and doing web development for seven. I’ve recently realized that my advanced math skills were rusty and making it hard for me to understand some of the more advanced game maths I needed to do, so decided to look for a course geared around game math (since that would hopefully teach me more relevant math than a generalized course). I’ll be working on this course as time allows.

Pleasure to meet everyone.

Privacy & Terms