Where are you from? What's your experience?

I’d love to hear from you here guys and girls of the Math For Games course.

4 Likes

Quick one to get the ball rolling…

Morning All :wave:

Darren McBain here, from the sometimes (a few days of the year) sunny Highlands of Scotland.

done Mechanical engineering in college a good few years back, you know its a while when you start counting in decades lol

Im really looking forward to learning Math in a structured way and seeing how and where students apply what were learning along the way :slight_smile:

See you all in there…

3 Likes

Greeting Everyone

Mohammed From Iraq trying my best to acquire as much knowledge as I can to make a Portfolio and find a way in the Industry.

6 Likes

Canada, no experience with functions or calculus, or proofs. Not much in what you’d want from a typical computer science math course.

Will you be covering all of these more advanced topics? @ben

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Gary (or any variation you prefer).
I’m the one chatting with Ben in some of the later live calls. You’ll often see me popping up here on the forum and over on Discord (where I go by G-Wolf).

I’ve had a lifelong passion for maths and also studied it as part of my degree. As a game developer and programmer, I use maths every day and am especially well versed in probability theory.

I love helping others with maths problems and chatting about the topic in general.

4 Likes

Hello everybody,
I’m Advêncio de Castro from Portugal.

I’m a hobbyist programmer.

I got really happy by backing this Math course on the kickstarter plus getting the Physics course next year as a bonus.

I hope to learn a lot with Ben and apply what i will learn in Applications and Games afterwards.

Later all
Advêncio de Castro

2 Likes

My turn :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m Thomas, a storyboard writer for web-based trainings (yep, that’s an actual job…) from Germany.

A few decades ago I studied Business Informatics and Information Science and learned to HATE programming and Math of any kind. And now look at me: backing a Math course and diving into every Unity and C# course I can find :sunglasses:

And who’s to blame? Thanks, Ben :wink:

Hey everyone, I’m Cam from Hobart, Tasmania.

I’m a UX/UI designer, animator and novice game dev who’s in dire need of help with maths and programming! I struggle identifying situations that can be solved with different types of maths and hope to form some solid mental models I can use in my future games.

I can’t wait to see what Ben has in store for us!

Hello everyone,

I’m Kevin from Malta (Currently sunny and excellent weather for a swim). I am an MSP System Tech. For those unfamiliar with the term, it’s Managed Services Provider. Basically my job is to fix problems before they happen and automation is my friend. I am sure some Maths understanding will help when I need to do some calculations based on numbers to get the results I want.

Thanks Ben for your great courses! Been there since the beginning and still here :slight_smile: Always good quality training!

Hey everyone,

Chris here from London. Extremely interested to see how this course is taught, as my past experience of Maths has been very dry and in my opinion not very intuitive.

As someone who is ultra keen to design and develop games, I’ve often found non-basic Maths to be my achilles heel when programming my projects. I am often trying (and usually failing) to find work-arounds that bypass what I seem to see others solve with Mathematical solutions.

Super excited to see the results of this course come to fruition within my projects, as I have no doubt that Ben will deliver yet another excellent learning experience.

Hello I am from Jacksonville, Florida!
My name is Kevin-Brandon Corbett or you can call me K-B.

I love math and can’t get enough of it. I graduated college and didn’t go to college to take a route of self-education and traveling the world. I have been attempting to teach myself 3D Math and it is going well so far but I’ve missed a structure class with an actually teacher in front of me. I believe this course is perfect to fill in the gaps and help me learn everything I need to learn to help me be great at Math For Games.

The last math class I took was AP Calculus AB. My favorite math was pre-Calculus. I love solving problems. I can solve problems all day. I love doing it. I always had trouble with Geometry. Same with Calculus. I am good at solving problems but I struggle with proofs and theory. I understand it’s all about understanding why we are doing something but it’s harder for me to comprehend. Hopefully this course can help me better understand why we do certain things in math too.

Hey All! My name is Trevor, and I am from Calgary, Canada.

I am currently completing a PhD in Biochemistry, and thus use at least the simpler math concepts on a daily basis. A currently trying to relearn calculus for understanding the more complex topics of my degree, and would love to remember what exactly a cross and dot product are for my hobby, game design.

I hope you all have a fantastic day, and I look forward to seeing Ben’s method of teaching math!

Hi Ben, this is an old topic so I hope you’re still reading. I’ve spent a great deal of time re-learning maths from high school and college, where I went through Calculus 3. Using Khan Academy I’ve hit all of these topics: all Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics, Linear Algebra, and am now about halfway done with Calculus BC.
I think what most people may have trouble with when it comes to actually knowing when a specific math applies to a problem. This is often called modeling a problem, which is often much harder than finding the solution to the problem. An example would be determining how to code it to where the mouse’s x-position is a proportion of the screen width. That’s taken from video 53 of Block Breaker in the 2D tutorial, but there are many other examples I could cite.

So for me, understanding how to model these correctly would be a very valuable service.

1 Like

I have learned almost all of my math skills from RPG games. That’s not quite as silly as it first sounds. I am something of a math failure that never got passed pre-algebra and never, ever did homework. I guess I’m lazy – I participated in class, did okay-ish on tests, but I never did the homework and never advanced.

But I have this game called Traveller: The New Era, a tabletop RPG about rebuilding a space-faring civilization after a galactic apocalypse destroyed all our tech. It came with a “technical architecture” book that allowed you to build your own custom weapons, vehicles, starships, etc, model them after real-world principles and theoretic technology, and then convert them into game stats. They went a little overboard with the modelling on real-world theory stuff and it was very difficult to work through some of those equations.

The starship architecture book has a LOT of math and physics in it (certainly more than any other game book I’ve ever come across), which kindled my passion for math and calculators and spreadsheets. So, consequently, I know a lot about algebra and resolving equations and using variables and plugging one function into another, etc, but not so much about calculus and trigonometry and all those things that I’ll neeevverrrrr find a use for in real life, right?

Fast forward a bit, and I discovered this course on Udemy called the Complete Unity Developer. (Highly recommended, btw.) So of course I got into vector math pretty heavily and because I have associated math with fun, learning that was fairly easy. I even signed up for my local community college to take the first part of a pre-Calculus course so I can learn more math and apply it to game dev. It worked too – learned some interesting stuff and unlike every other student in the class, I recognized the value of what we were learning and had some immediate real-life uses for it.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a decent part-time job while I was going to school (part time office admin jobs are kind of hard to find) and had to eventually quit. A few months later I received a notice that the math department was being restructured and part 2 of the course would no longer be available if I didn’t sign up in the next semester. I didn’t, so all the credit for the course I took is gone, or at least made irrelevent in terms of academic progress.)

I really think some fun game-related math is very useful at a certain stage of Unity learning to take control back from Unity. If only there was somewhere I could go to learn it… somewhere that could re-kindle that connection from academic learning to fun, practical, game-related application like Traveller once did for my algebra skills.

Someone should really make a course or something…

Hi :space_invader::wave:

I’m Wilder, a student of Computer Science from Brazil :brazil:

I love to study games and discover this amazing universe.

1 Like

Hi There, Pablo, Spain.
Actual gamedev, experienced on shader building and tech stuff but wanting to cap once and for all, all the holes in the math area.
The more advanced the topics the better. So shadertoy masterpieces won’t seem esoteric anymore.
Specially interested on fractals and raytracing related stuff.

Hi,
I’m Jiří from Czech Republic. At the moment unemployed trying to get to software development. While I do have a Ph.D. in applied physics (optics to be more precise) I lately get the feeling that I did not choose my career path ideally. While research is quite fulfilling I just feel the pull of the software engineering and that I could utilise my abilities better there, not to mention that I just couldn’t get to the level of passion most of my (more successful) research peers had. I kind of feel it glowing at me from the software development field if it makes any sense.

Since I have the excellent C++ course on Unreal 4 engine on Udemy and that course is superb (I especially appreciate the focus on “clean code” habits) so I couldn’t resist get the Humble bundle with this course.

Hi, My name Is Danny Arnold, I have been a fan and a member of GameDev.tv for a couple of years now ever since I joined the Complete Unity C# course on udemy. I recently purchaced the mathmatic course to brush up my skills some more and are here to introduce myself.

Hello, hello~
My name is James, I’m from Portland OR. I have done other gamedev tv courses and loved them. I work in robotics currently. I find math is by far the hardest thing for me to retain, learn and apply. Really excited to do this course.

Hi guys! Name’s Steven, I’m from French Polynesia and I moved to Canada, Montréal, back in 2016. I took an accelerated training in a Private College to become a Game dev’. I then graduated and became a Realtime VFX Artist in an Indie studio. I then joined Ubisoft Montréal.

Experience eh? Welp, it’s reaaaaaally long so i’ll try to be short: Started working at 14 (due to serious issue with my dad) doing small jobs like cleaning pools, harvesting fruits, baby sitting, mentoring, got a marketing diploma in High school, studied Law, then quit because it bored the hell out of me, worked as a seller (the kind that makes you tastes products in a grocery store), then joined the Army and got selected for the Officer program at St Cyr but then choosed to become a Special Aid Educator (for children with Handicap) back in the school where I used to study on an island called Rangiroa. I then proceeded to become a teacher, then thought longly about my future and decided to come to Montréal to do what I really wanted to do.

And here I am. Working in an AAA company since almost 2 years. Quite proud of myself.

Tho I realized my lack of knowledge in Maths that are actually applicable in my field, like Dot products, vectors and such, to which I’m still struggling as I lack the basics. Realtime VFX Artists tend to interact with about EVERY apect of the video game development like Shaders, Prog, Lighting, Modelling, LD, GD, to an extent. And Math is the thing that comes mpre often than not.

There’s always this struggle for VFX Artists to balance on the Tech/Art spectrum, and I’m more on the Artistic side. Which is a good thing. Tho I aim to build some kind of Toolbox in my head where i can develop my own solutions instead of just trying to guess and get a result I won’t remember why and how I came up to it.

I’m mostly interested into math for games to make shaders and programming (to an extent, I don’t want to become a programmer) so I can build a strong foundation to become, without wanting to sound too arrogant, THE Best in my field.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms