Where are you from? What's your experience?

Hey there. I’m Rick and I’m a +25 year veteran programmer at a door & window manufacturing company. I program in Unity as a hobby, but haven’t really used anything above basic algebra for most of my programming days… so I’ve found it a bit challenging to keep up my gaming development journey due to a lack of higher math skills, specifically linear algebra, trig, etc.

I’m really looking forward to filling in the gaps with this course and getting better.

Hey Everyone,
I am Azhar Qureshi from India. I have 3+ years of programming experience and now I am intrigued towards the game development. Hope I can feel my gaps and can be better after the end of the course. Thank you so much for the great content that you provide to the students with great support.

Hello! I’m Jesse, I’m from the US but currently live in Thailand.

At the moment, I’m taking the maths course because I want to improve my abilities and be more valuable to future teams for various reasons.

I have a couple of small, personal projects that I think might benefit from my improvement in video game mathematics, specifically with a flight model I’m working on as well as adventure map movement.

I have bare-minimum experience with math, meaning basically just what I learned in primary and secondary school, which goes up to algebra II.

Hi, I’m Gonzalo, originally from Barcelona, currently living in Melbourne. I’m a musician and computer programmer, recently getting into Game-dev. I want to improve my skills with game-related maths (hello trigonometry and vector math…). I hope to learn to approach certain problems in more efficient ways. Plus I liked Ben in the Unity 3D course, so I hope I enjoy this course too (I’m hoping it won’t be too basic).

Hey there! I joined this course because I wanted to understand better how math can be used in games. Not so much for making games per say but more like reversing them with c++. Aka game hacking. Great course so far and has been helping me alot.

Hi everyone. I’m Ajai, an aspiring game designer/localizer in Texas. I’ve gotten through a good chunk of the C#/Unity 3D course from Ben and Rick, but recently have made the switch to Godot.

Mathwise, I got as far as advanced algebra in school. Like many of us in here, I didn’t learn in the most intuitive way, so it wasn’t until more recently that I started appreciating the beauty of math.

To that end, I highly, highly recommend a book called “Math, Better Explained” by Kalim Azad. It’s inexpensive, written in short, fun chapters, and is in no way intimidating. The author’s goal is to make all math concepts intuitive, the same way “a circle is round” is intuitive. It’s a great complement to this course, which I’m very excited to embark on.

1 Like

hello everyone I am Jorge from UK I studied electrical installations level 3 and tried but not completed the HNC/HND in computing I am ok with maths at a basic level as I never needed to use the more advanced stuff, I did learn as I grew up with maths enthusiastic like my older brother who taught me more advanced math than what they teach in school, I just never really needed to use all that in a daily basis don’t know if I can still remember this is now an opportunity to find out .

Hello, I’m Cindy from the UK. I have just started the Unity 3D game developer course after completing the 2D course. I want to improve my maths skills to help further my game development skills and one day work in the industry. I have really enjoyed the GameDev courses so far and there couldn’t be any better instructors for this course.

Howdy,

I’m Marion in the US (East Coast), and I’ve been doing some kind of programming since I was a kid back in the 80’s saving programs to cassette tapes :smiley:

Math has always been a struggle for me. I usually have all of the math I need to get the numbers, I just can’t get the numbers in the right places to represent the right things… and when that happens you end up with a creeper. :frowning:

Eventually I’d like to change my career from working online to full time game development, but that means a lot more math :s

Hi there. My name is Charles Queeman from Puerto Rico. Am a developer of 30+ years experience. Now am almost retire and then decide to do one of my passions, video games.

Hi, Sam from the UK here.

I’ve always been interested in programming from a very young age, and I’ve always experimented with programming in various languages and methods, but my maths has never really been the greatest.

One thing that I’ve always struggled with is the maths side of things. I feel like if I could improve my maths (especially with this course) so I can vastly improve my understanding and the methods I use of going about programming with equations that I seriously did not understand before.

I have very ambitious game ideas that I wish I can pursue to create, but without that solid foundation of maths knowledge, I am going nowhere.

I’m looking forward to learn some exiting maths that I have yet to discover! :slight_smile:

Hi all! I’m Kyle, Las Vegas, NV, USA.

Growing up, I always struggled with math. Mostly because it felt like forced puzzles with unsatisfying answers, and I didn’t understand where it’d become practical beyond the basics.

Further along, I even foolishly told myself “Well, I’m going to focus more on the art side of things anyway.” Algebra 2 was pretty much where I dropped off.

But here I am, after so many years and finally, FINALLY beginning to grasp coding with the Godot Engine, and I want to have a better command of mathematics!

I’m especially excited with how it translates to game mechanics, and probability is especially esoteric to me.
I think I’ll be much more motivated, seeing how clever math translates directly into practical game design.

I appreciate this course!

Hi all,

My name is Dan I am form USA. I have a good knowledge of math, but my problem is when to use what )))

Hope everyone is doing good,

I’m Ryan Dulac from the US. I was an amateur game developer in the 90s and early 2000s using C++. When I was 12 games inspired my journey to learn how to program, which got me into reverse engineering my favorite game(Diablo), C, C++, and Delphi. I studied philosophy and computer science in college(switched from computer science to philosophy). I’m a full stack web developer who knows C#.

My experience with math is in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and logic, which I’ve applied to games in the past. I’m rusty, so I"m using this course to review math before reviewing vectors, matrix math etc. in great depth. Returning to basics is something I do to make sure I have the proper foundations.

The reason I’m doing this is to return to my game making hobby and expand my mind. :slight_smile: Both math and programming have my musing! I’ve been using MonoGame with C#, just C++, and SFML wtih C++ for relearning game development, but I have decided to add Unity. The reason I use MonoGame, SFML, and even C++ by itself is to be closer to the fundamentals. However, Unity is very powerful and will replace my modding hobby. I’ve also made interactive and console games with JavaScript, React/VueJS/Angular, and python for fun.

Hello, I am Matt. I live in Idaho.

I have always wanted to learn programming and game development. Struggling with math beyond just the basics has kept me from pursuing it seriously. I took math classes in HS and college but that was long ago. At this point, a calculator is a close friend. Time to brush up on what I know, re-remember the things I have forgotten, and learn more about math than I knew before.

Hello my name is Eman. My question is, how will understanding prime numbers come in handy with making games?

I’m in upstate New York, U.S.
I have some experience learning math online. I started really getting into it about a year ago. I have been game programming for about 10 years now, and looking to improve my understanding.

Welcome to the course @10hitcombo.

All the whole numbers are either prime or composite (made up of primes multiplied together). So they’re pretty important in general.

Sometimes you want numbers that are highly composite (have a lot of factors) so knowing some of the first prime numbers can help you find them.
This may be the case if you’re working with a procedural terrain mesh and need a chunk size that will let you easily control the resolution of your mesh.

That’s just one example but there are many more, including using prime numbers specifically.

One of the most well known uses for prime numbers is obviously cryptography, but that’s more computer science related and less about games specifically.

You definitely don’t have to memorize a bunch of prime numbers but knowing the first 10 or so can be helpful. All the others you can just look up if/when you need them.

Hi!

My name is Steve, and I’m a former theatrical lighting designer turned event designer/draftsman/renderer (using blender/vectorworks/and hopefully soon unreal). I’m using the downtime in our industry to try to build my skill sets so I can create bigger and better when it returns - and integrate virtual worlds into live events (and perhaps some opera/theatrical design as opportunities come up). My last math course was calculus 2 (22 years ago). I have done some math over the course of my career (lighting design involves some basic algebra and geometry to calculate light falloff, coverage, etc). Also have a decent understanding of binary due to DMX dip switches being how you set addresses for intelligent fixtures when the were new (didn’t really realize I was learning binary at the time - until I took a networking course and learned binary later).

My math skills (while I always loved math) have faded over the years due to trying to build my creative side - I let some of my more technical skills languish a bit. Now coming back to math taking some of the gaming courses and trying to build some code for other projects I realized I could use a refresher and a better understanding of math as it relates to coding.

• Steve
1 Like

Hello, I am Dillon Jones.

I am a computer science student who studies graphics programming and game programming. I already have up to Calculus 2 level math skills, but haven’t taken those courses for about a year now, and am more interested in learning more about how math is applied to game development which is why I am taking this course. (Also to maybe get some extra practice with vector mathematics so my shader programming can get even better)

I look forward to seeing math from a different perspective and possibly getting to assist others taking the course that might need it.

1 Like

Unity Hub is on any Debian based linux, and Unreal can be compiled straight from the source code quite easily if you know what you are doing on linux. I use linux primarily for work non-creative related (database and operating system programming) But I just thought I’d let you know if you didn’t already know you still have options to use Unity and Unreal on linux.

But either way, glad to see another Linux user in here, long live open source!

Privacy & Terms