Where are you from? What's your experience?

Hi there! I’m Martin Castaneda. US-Peruvian, currently living in New Mexico. I’m a filmmaker and educator. Programming is an interest I’ve been learning following many of your courses, first on Udemy, and now here at gamedev.tv. Thanks for all the great courses!

Greetings. I am Petros from Greece. I am working in the automation industry and I have a master’s degree in Computer Engineering. My goal is to refresh my math as way of helping me both at my daily job as well as making my hobbyist game coding easier. Looking forward to learning more!

Hello there,
I am Benjamin from Germany. I have a Master’s degree in Computer Science. I am curious about game development and synthetic data generators for neural networks. I am hoping to refresh some math while using it in Unreal Engine 4.

See you space cowboy … :wink:

Hi everyone

I come from Italy but I’m studying in Kansas City thanks to a scholarship. This is my first year in an American college and I have chosen Computer Science as a degree, but I am not sure if it is a good choice if I want to work in a videogame environment.

It is a good choice, you can probably get a job as a sotfware engineer, if you want to work as something else like gameplay progammer you’ll probably need to learn Unity and Unreal on your own, keep that in mind.

1 Like

Hey all

My name is Dogan and I’m from Turkey.
I studied economics with a heavy lean on statistics, then took a fun side track into DJing and being a radio director for a living.
I’ve always dabbled in programming and games, but now I’m looking to learn the kind of higher dimensional math skills necessary to make a lot of the modern computer magic happen.

See you all in the numbers.

Hey all! My name is Gabriel Gil. I’m from Texas with educational experience in Marketing and Management. Math has always been my favorite subject; but given my recent work experiences, I haven’t been able to incorporate the more advance topics other than the basics. As such, I’m looking forward to review over the more advance topics in math, so that I can incorporate it into Virtual Studio. Looking forward to working with you all!

Hello, my name is Alex Rauenzahn, and I am currently a software engineer. I have always had an affinity towards video games and would love to one day end up becoming a game developer. I have a degree in history, with a minor in political science. Still, I enjoy programming and mathematics a lot. I attended a Java-based Bootcamp and obtained my first certification from there. I am now working as a software engineer and hope to learn more and hone my skills throughout this course, during the quarantine period.
Thanks and I look forward to learning as much as I can,
Alex

Hello all,

Justin McCarty from Ottawa, Canada. I have worked in a few different fields that require some basic knowledge in maths. The highest level I took in University was Calculus 1, this was over a decade ago and I haven’t put it to much practice.

I have taken a few courses from GameDev.tv over at Udemy and was happy to see a nice math primer here! I’m excited and have already learned new things! I have always seen people use floor in code but never fully understood why!

Hi Folks,

Chris McAuley, originally from Ireland now living in Canada. Took high school math waaay back in 1999 and love doing game development in Unity and Unreal Engine (thanks to GameDev.tv!). I’m a comic book colourist and I work for several game companies as a Support Engineer and developer. I took the course to solidify my math skills and learn more in order to become a more useful software engineer!

I’m from Wisconsin (still here!).

I have taken pokes at computer programming over the years. I remember being stoked to try making Half Life Mods with Visual C++ (never really got there).

Then, after asking Coworkers for advise - I completed ‘Learn Python the Hard Way’. This was interesting and lead to me creating a utility that I’ve found very useful for myself.

A few years ago I started and completed an associates in Software Development at a community college. I did not keep using my knowledge very frequently after it. Starting and stopping different game dev related courses infrequently and doing occasional maintenance and feature updates on the aforementioned Python utility.

Right now, I’m actually in the middle of an application/‘interview’ process for a Software Dev related position at my current employer. I don’t know how it’s going to turn out, so that’s kind’ve exciting!

As far as experience, I put a significant amount of time into Unreal Engine, mostly just messing around in it and some gamedev.tv course related work too. I don’t feel I am proficient at it.

Recently, I have really gotten into Godot and the 1-Bit Godot course that is out there. Read a lot of the manual and working through that course.

These are things!

Hello wonderful people!

I’m Carlos! I’m from Nicaragua, and at my current state, I’m not very skilled at it. I want to make games, and although programming “clicks” with me, I always get stuck with vector maths, so I want to finally tackle that weakness once and for all and learn some math. I know you guys teach very well (taken both your Unity and Unreal courses). So I’m expecting to get a good grasp of mathematics along the way and put it into practice. Specially with shader stuff which I’m aware it requires some solid math foundations for the fancy stuff.

2 Likes

Hello World,

I’m Django, I make VR games/experiments for a living. I originally started as a 3D artist and also worked as a game Game Designer. Nowadays I write a lot code which can be a challenge since I suck at math(poor foundation) which I hope to fix asap.

Although I have been participating in GameDev.tv courses for quite a long time, I usually don’t participate in online communities. I need some motivation to actually finish this. Let’s hope this helps.

Catch you on the flip flop.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

My name is Ian, and I live in England.
I’ve studied quite a few things up this point - psychology, administration, computer tech, horticulture, business (and more that I’ve forgotten), while making a living at various times as a labourer, factory/warehouse worker, groundskeeper, and as a shop assistant.

I always struggled to settle down and go further with my studies, but something I rarely considered was how much joy I get out of game development, and out of being creative in general. I grew up playing games, writing stories, planning D&D campaigns with friends, and I’ve spent thousands of hours on the RPG Maker series creating all sorts of nonsense. The idea of being a game developer always felt unrealistic I think, but since discovering C#, Unity and Blender I’ve found myself a lot more motivated to learn every aspect of it, including the math (I’m bad at math).

Probably a bit much for an introduction, but thank you to Ben and the GameDev team for setting up these courses. They’ve helped me a lot so far, and I’m looking forward to learning more.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jorin from the US-currently, Florida. I never got past basic algebra and geometry, but to follow my dream of making games… that’s worth a little effort.

I got bit by the Linux bug and now I’m learning to code without the benefit of a program like Unreal or Unity. (It’s a lot easier on the hardware and you don’t need a “free” account.)

Hopefully this course will be helpful and fun for us all.

Hi good folks,

I’m Steve from South West England (so this is a Maths course for me :wink:), I’m a test analyst by profession but a hobbyist gamer and aspiring game dev by night.

Got a ‘B’ Maths ‘O’ level long ago so thought it would do me good to try to learn some proper mathematics for game dev.

Been a GameDev TV fan for some years and delighted to see Ben and Gary on this new course.

Thanks guys, and good luck everyone, :slightly_smiling_face:

Steve

1 Like

Hello! My name is Eli, and I’m from the Philippines.

I finished the Learn to Code by Making Games Course on Udemy and I loved it, but I wanted to add features to my game that weren’t in the course.

I looked for answers online and found code and mathematics that I didn’t understand, but when I put it into my game, it worked.

I became curious and found this course.

I think I’ll have a good time here, and I hope you do too.

Hello, I’m from Alaska originally but now live in Nevada. I used to attend the University of Alaska Fairbanks studying for a Bachelors in Computer Science and Mathematics. I was a Junior before I dropped out so I don’t actually have a degree but I feel like i learned quite a bit. I got up to my first calculus class and have several programming classes (and programming Udemy courses) under my belt.

I’m hoping to solidify my Math knowledge with this course especially in regards to games programming.

Hey everyone,

My name is Peter, and I am from Montreal, Canada :slight_smile:

I started my game dev journey after 16 years in Finance out of interest and passion with Ben and Rick via these courses on Udemy a year and a half ago. I do have a really old (16 years plus) degree in Computer Science but frankly I’ve learned more here than I ever really did there :slight_smile:

Today, I work at Unity as a Service Support Developer (supporting Unity Services like Collaborate, Cloud Build, Diagnostics and Unity Reflect).

Honestly I followed the creation (Announcement, kickstarter and launch) of this course, and while I was a little interested I knew I had enough Math knowledge and needed to focus on engine knowledge at the time. Now, after seeing Lucy’s post requesting feedback and checking the content I decided a refresher on my math couldn’t hurt (especially the more complex trig and the calc topics it touches on!).

Looking forward to going through this one as I have nothing but love for the courses I’ve already taken here.

Well met everyone, and thanks GDTV guys for keeping it awesome :slight_smile:

Hello there,
my name is Austin, currently earning my bachelor’s in Game Design here in sunny (but mostly rainy) Florida. I still have the basics of math stuck in my head, but currently taking this course to make sure that the stuff that will actually apply to my programming, like vector math, I will have a good understanding of.

Privacy & Terms