What the oldest computer game you've played?

The oldest game Ive played is also the first game I played which was Super Mario Bros. I think that I didn’t even get to play it until the NES had been out for a few years. My family was pretty slow to adopt newer technology. We didn’t even have a PC until 1999! I missed out on quite a few of the classics.

2 Likes

Actually the FIRST computer game I played was Lunar Lander on the HP-65 Programmable Calculator.
You would enter the amount of fuel to “fire.” The calculator would do the calculations and tell you if you crashed on the surface. This was in the 1970s.

1 Like

Yes I have but i have not had a chance to look into it too much.

1 Like

The HP-65 calculator is considered by many as the very first home computer because it was programmable. It had little computer cards to save your programs. Its the one that got Apollo to the moon in 1960s.

The next wave would have been ADVENT and TREK on the PDP-11 Computers in 1970s.

Then came the Pong Consoles!

2 Likes

Interestingly, one of the first games I wrote was sortof-lunar lander…all text, you entered thrust vectors, got back info such as height, velocity, etc. It was a programming exercise in a textbook.

Oh yeah, it was in Vic 20 BASIC.

2 Likes

Hey, no worries Mal. I’m just showing my age! :weary:
The first computer chips were actually calculator chips.

2 Likes

My oldest games are from the Atari 2600 and the ZX Spectrum. I’ll list a few of my favourites.
Atari:
Dig Dug, Frostbite, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, Yars’ Revenge, Pitfall, and anything on the Supercharger :slight_smile:

Spectrum:
Renegade, Target Renegade, Attic Attack, Underwurld, Sabrewulf, Dustin,Skool Daze, Bak to Skool, Psssst! Any Monty Mole game.

There are many more but they are some off the top of my head. I could play those games for hours, they often have more playability than games these days.
I always look to old games for inspiration. It would be great to remake some of them while I’m learning.

2 Likes

Castle Wolfenstein.

2 Likes

Toyed with the text only Colossal Cave on a bulletin board with my then boyfriend, now hubby. Didn’t care for it. So the first one I played from start to finish was King’s Quest on a PC. Sooooo long ago I can’t remember what brand/model PC it was. Played a bunch of Sierra games. First console game was probably Tetris. Got busy with life and didn’t play again until Zelda Twilight Princess. Yes, I’m getting older. I refuse to be OLD.

2 Likes

I liked throwing pie, I think at a Yeti, and catching elves (or whatever?) with honey. Nothing you used made any sense lol

Don’t forget Leisure Suit Larry

2 Likes

Temple of Apshai

Played that on my c-64 with the datasette tape recorder . Took like 5 minutes to load…:grinning:
Was a fun game as I recall , course I’m old so my memory is going

1 Like

My Dad got me into gaming as a child, the pong machine was our first home experience then the mighty ZX81. I can honestly say when I saw the dinosaur in 3D monster maze I was terrified!. Im mainly a pc gamer now but completed Uncharted because i love that series.

3 Likes

Gunship on the Commodore 64. I played it a lot and had a great time. My Army buddies wanted to play Frisbee football, which I played occasionally, but every chance I got I was on the computer.

3 Likes

Yep, Zork was fun.

1 Like

Wow, cassette tapes, huh? I remember seeing those types of computers as a really little kid! :wink:

1 Like

I think Pong is the oldest game I have played; however, that was on a television set. Asteroid on the an itty bitty Mac Classic!

2 Likes

The first computer I saw, about 2nd grade, used the big reels of tape, the kind that Don Knotts tangled up in The Reluctant Astronaut. We interacted with it using a TTY, an actual electric typewriter with paper that you typed commands in and received typed responses from. I played an arithmetic game on it of some sort. Not quite suitable for space invaders (though Langford’s “The Leaky Establishment” novel described such an attempt…)

2 Likes

Pong still counts - it was a computer hooked up to your TV set. :wink:

1 Like

Lol tells my age doesn’t it.!

Privacy & Terms