What the oldest computer game you've played?

The oldest game I have ever played. I think the old school games; Pac-man, Asteroids, Donkey kong etc.; I don’t know which game was released earlier. The experience when I played these game would be similar to all of you guys.
However, the remembered game is the uninvited.
Information of this game

First, I played it in the APPLE II. I was so babyish. I could not read or write anythings (but I could play the game, of courses :D). I did get what this game is about. But it was creepy and made me cry especially when the skeleton woman had appeared. I could not beat this game. Until, I have played it in dos (when windows7 is released). This time, I fight it so hard with my companions (dictionaries). Fortunately, I can beat it :smiley:

This game has a feeling of nostalgia. It has been a long way from starting to beating.
So I think I should play it one more time.

1 Like

That looks like a fun game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am probably the only one who remembers Subterranea on the Atari console, but that is the game that got me sucked into video games. It was a side-scroller. You flew a spaceship and you shot at lines of monsters/bugs that came along.

1 Like

I couldn’t remember it so I had to look it up…but once I did I recognized it immediately :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whilst not actually old, people always tell me that Dwarf Fortress looks like a game from the 80s. And that is true. But it still plays modern; so modern in fact that other games are only starting to come out now that are imitating it.

ASCII art though, what a great style. A c is all I need to know that’s a cat!

But I’m really thankful to Rogue, for giving birth to my favourite genre :smiley: Now all we need is a revival of the Tycoon genre and I’m set.

1 Like

Ah Boulderdash. Spent many hours playing that one when I was 12 on my first computer. The Amstrad CPC664. Great game. :grin:

1 Like

My parents owned a Pong console, but the first game I really played was Ant Attack on the ZX Spectrum. That was before I replaced it with a C64, Amiga, PC…

1 Like

Gorillas, also known under the source code’s file name Gorilla.Bas, is a video game first distributed with MS-DOS 5 and published in 1991 by IBM corporation. It is a turn-based artillery game. The game consists of two gorillas throwing explosive bananas at each other above a city skyline. The players can adjust the angle and velocity of each throw, as well as the gravitational pull of the planet.

Pretty sure this is the oldest PC game I can remember playing and editing!

3 Likes

I hate to say it, but I sort of miss my old 286 with DOS 5…

1 Like

While I don’t remember what game I got started with, the game that i remember spending hours on when I was younger was the Legend of Zelda for the NES. I thought it was always the coolest and enjoyed the puzzles it presented even though I had to have help from my parents to actually complete them. Then from the I have gravitated towards the RPG/strategy genres. Sticking to the Legend of Zelda series and the Nintendo platform. Eventually I got into PC gaming with an old game I would watch my dad play called Descent. But now I play almost anything and am always looking for those hidden gem games.

Here is a screenshot of Descent:

4 Likes

Wow! What an amazing old game.

@YggdrasilShadow, have you seen the new Descent Underground game? :slight_smile:

I totally remember downloading the shareware version and playing that game!

Once I finish the Unity course, I might try making a simple clone of this 3D game.

Pinball! wait…that’s mechanical, or it used to be. I have played Space Invaders, one of the older “popular” games that ushered in the Video Arcade revolution. And Pong on an Atari. I think Space War or something like that is the first computer game ever made, back in the days when one could count on their fingers the number of computers in the world.

1 Like

Tennis - must be about 40 years ago. That was at an exhibition at the http://www.evoluon.com/ which was a science museum at the time.

1 Like

I remember the original Pac Man in the arcades, not to mention on the Atari 2600 (which I never owned myself - always at a friend’s house) But the first games I really got into on my own computer, the old IBM PCjr, was a cartridge game called “Crossfire” (think Space Invaders, but you get to move in two dimensions instead of just one), and then the others we had for that system were Creative Contraptions and the first King’s Quest. And then there were some shareware games, like Flightmare, Castle, and Star Trek, plus a game called “Bricks” - an Arkanoid clone long before I even knew what Arkanoid was. :wink:

1 Like

I think there was a bug in that old Kings Quest–none of the Rumplestiltskin variations worked.

I wasn’t sure if there was a bug - I never actually finished King’s Quest, I just played it.

Now, as for Space Quest 2 and 3 and Police Quest, I did finish those. :wink:

1 Like

I used to like playing ADVENT on the PDP-10 computer at University.
The game went on to be called Colosal Caves, which later became the
series of Zork 1, 2 ,3.

In the early 1980s I created a game based on it on the Atari 400 Computer,
It was the worlds first graphic adventure, it sold very well going to #1 for a while.

3 Likes

Many happy memories over here.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms