What the oldest computer game you've played?

Not necessarily. I mean, look at video game consoles - they still get hooked up to the TV set. Does that mean they’re not computer games? :wink:

1 Like

Snake on a very old Flip Phone. The next oldest thing I played is Skyrim. I know, I didn’t play a lot of old games.

While reading about Tennis for Two (which according to Wikipedia is the oldest video game in the world), I stumbled on an emulator and thought of this chat. Might make a nice project for someone…
http://www.gamersquarter.com/tennisfortwo/

I cant remember the exact game I enjoyed first but I know it would have been on the ZX Spectrum 128k. After that I went on to a NES then a Sega Megarive. On the NES I enjoyed platform games like Mario and TMNT, on the Megadrive it was mostly side scrolling fighting games like Sreets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi (which I suppose was also a platform game) but one game I truly did love was Dune. I think Dune was the very first RTS Westwood studios did, it was awesome. I’ve been watching episodes of Games Master recently on Youtube and looking back at the time 16 bit really was the cutting edge of home entertainment and now we can easily run 16 bit games on our phones.

1 Like

Pong on a pong machine with wired controllers, mid 70s IIRC. Then on to text adventures on a VideoGenie, a TRS80 clone.

2 Likes

Not as old as some of the options but my first love in gaming was Megaman X on the SNES (My older brother’s) and then my 1st console as a kid. Close second is Yoshi’s story. :smiley:

There’s a great video on Youtube regarding Game Design - conceptual vs. visual - and Megaman that I thought was awesome after having played those games growing up.

Link to Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM
Warning: Not for small children.

2 Likes

My game that inspired me to want to become a games developer some day was Outpost 2 from the now defunct Sierra.

Outpost 2: Devided Destiny Wiki page

My oldest game that I’ve played, starting my games journey. Would have to be Decent as stated above by @YggdrasilShadow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Christmas Morning around 1987 or 1988, must have only been 6 or 7, I got an Atari 2600 with Centipede and Star Voyager. I actually still have the console and all my games and sticks in the cupboard right next to me. My favorite games were Defender 2, Phoenix, Joust, Galaxian, Summer Games, Decathlon and Rampage. I appear to have lost a load of the games, along with a load of my NES games. Probably hiding somewhere in my parents’ attic. After that if was the NES with Mario 3, the SNES with Street Fighter 2, then Saturn, N64, PlayStation 2, PS3 and if I can find some spare cash i might get a PS4 at some point.

I also have fond memories of playing arcade games throughout my childhood, Operation Wolf, Afterburner, Splatterhouse 2, 1944, PacMan, Virtual Cop, House of the Dead,

1 Like

Lunar Lander and the old 5inch floppy version of Red Baron. After that it was Aces over Europe and Descent.

2 Likes

I loved the original Trek games. I used to play them on a TTY at my highschool. I went through reams of paper killing Klingons. The logic was pretty simple and I believe that the pseudo code is available somewhere online. Heck, the BASIC code is probably available too. Make it an object oriented program and throw some graphics at it and I bet it would still be an engaging diversion for a few minutes. I also got busted hacking the school mainframe so that I could play Adventure (Colossal Cave). Again, reams of paper. Sorry trees.

Oh! And lemonade stand for the Apple IIc. That was the game that convinced me that main frame time sliced computing was about to become a relic.

Cheers,
Rick

1 Like

… in the land of the lounge lizards.

Hard to forget it.

Roland in Time was a game that came included with my first computer, Amstrad CPC 6128. Not my favorite but it was fun

you can watch a brief video about it here

Ben you are correct, I could see myself taking some ideas from Roland In Time

What I did find cool about it, was that you could go forward or backward in time and revisit old stages or discover new. Also you did not need to win to advance to the next stage.

1 Like

The oldest game I’ve played as opposed to owned would probably be pacman or maybe street racer on my cousins atari.

The first game I owned would have come on Amstrad 6128+ called Burnin’ Rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7a1wubAE_g this video is the first time I saw the ending. I didn’t even know it ended.

1 Like

Oh how much I did envy people with color monitors

I really hated my CPC 6128 Green monochrome Monitor and was drooling over Amiga 500 :smiley:

1 Like

Mine was the Collossal Cave text-based adventure game on a Commodore Pet at school (not a video game, but did get me into programming).

First video game was Star Raiders on an Atari 800, which I bought to play games and learn programming but I couldn’t afford and Apple II. Was a good choice, though, as I learned BASIC, 6502 assembly, and C on it.

It was Pong. A friend had this game at home on the tv in the living room. Does that count?

On a CP/M computer I played Adventure, a text based adventure game.

4 Likes

Yep, it counts! We had one of these growing up and always had a houseful after school seeing who could beat who! Drove my parents nuts!

1 Like

I’m a big retro fan when it comes to Nintendo and Sega >.> but the oldest PC game I played is…

And I still play it :3

4 Likes

My very first game was River Raid on Atari 2600

2 Likes

With the advent of emulation namely MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) I have played just about every game that I can vaguely remember playing at the arcades when I was younger :sunglasses:. Some stood the test of time fairly, well, others not so much.

I favourite arcade game of mine when I was younger was Gyruss - having made it back to Earth in the Arcades - didn’t seem as fun as I remembered it to be, same with Xevious and Asteroids. But games like Galaga and 1942 stood up surprisingly well, I’m in awe that they could create those games back then with the technology they had. I’ve tried and failed a couple of time to make clones of them in GameMaker or other game making tools and I couldn’t get anywhere near the sophistication they had.

The game that I would dearly love to make a clone of would be Mario with all the aspects of I,II, III there are some bells and whistles in those games that are great and Jumpman on the Commodore 64 they were games I whiled away many an hour.

Regards,
Vaughan.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms