Using this course in Unreal Engine 5 doesn't work

Hi,

i try the course using unreal engine but i run in an issue here the ball don’t react. he stands where he is.

Can someone help?

Where to find the problem:
Gravity? Collition? weight?

thank you

Hi and welcome to the community.

The ball looks like it is embedded in the surface. This would prevent it from moving.

Also, you need to ensure the mesh is movable and simulate physics is enabled for the ball/sphere/static mesh which may help.

I had the same problem as you. Looks like something changed with the new versions. This is how I fixed it in UE5:

• Go to the top menu and click on “Build”
  • Go down to Geometry and click on “Build Geometry”

If you run your game now it should work.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve recreated the original issue and Build Geometry doesn’t solve it. My understanding is there is a bug in the collision in UE5 (saw a link on reddit referring to it) so hopefully this will get resolved in a 5.0.1 release soon.

I turned off CCD and it worked once and then not again after that.

Same problem here. Drop the ball down, let it sit and then moving the floor does nothing. I tilted the floor before starting the level and then it works like it should. Edit: Tested in 5.0.1

2 Likes

After having the same issue I searched on google for why this was happening, turns out the balls physics falls asleep after a second of it sitting still. In order to fix the issue I had to create a new blueprint for the ball itself by going to the blueprint tab while having the ball selected in the editor and selecting convert selection to blueprint class,

and then adding the “Wake Rigid Body” component and connecting that to the Event Tick.

It seems to me to be an overly complicated solution to something that should be a tick box but hey at least it works now right?
Many thanks Mr. Blizzzzar on youtube for solving this issue over a year ago for us today.
Link to where I found this solution UE5 early access something broken in physics? can someone help 5.0EA - World Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

6 Likes

If I may offer a slightly more elegant solution.

There’s an event called OnComponentSleep for primitive components (the Static Mesh Component is a child of the PrimitiveComponent) that triggers as soon as a physics object is told to stop simulating physics (ie. has been put to sleep).

Using that with GenerateWakeEvents enabled for the component will eliminate the need to use WakeRigidBody in the Tick Event.

Screenshot from 2022-04-22 18-17-05

10 Likes

this will not work, the other work.

Thank you.

It doesn’t work initially because you need to turn on GenerateWakeEvents for the StaticMeshComponent in the Blueprint to work.

Would not have posted it if it did not work.

3 Likes

Tried it out and can confirm it works without issue. Turned the ball into a Blueprint, on the static mesh ensured Generate Wake Events was checked and then in the even graph I added the sleep event with the call to Wake Rigid Body and it works.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms